Thread: 1985 New Yorker No spark

Threaded View

Hybrid booster

1985 New Yorker No spark

I just picked up a 1985 Chrysler New Yorker T1 Auto. Currently getting no spark from the coil. I ran thru the steps in the troubleshooting guide and at first was thinking it was a bad HEP. After trying a few known good HEP's I turned to the power module. The car had a spare PM in it so I cleaned up the connectors and put it in. My son was in the car and said the EVA said something like "engine power module is now functioning properly", or something like that. Now the HEP test fine (12v at the - side of the coil when cranking). I put the coil from my running GLH in it to rule out a bad coil. I also threw in the old LM from my Omni with no change. So I am thinking it has to be a wiring issue somewhere.

So all you turbo-mopar gurus, where should I start to look first?

Troubleshooting steps I took -

1)Verify no spark by removing the coil wire from the distributor cap and hold 1/4" from a good ground. **no spark

2)Verify Distributor is turning, if distributor is not turning repair timing belt issue. **all good, everything is turning

3)Check ASD Relay circuit. Locate the underhood diagnostic connector With the key on/engine off ground the DB/YL(dark blue/yellow) wire.
    This will actuate the ASD relay. (A Code 42 will be set in memory) **did not check for codes
    Power (battery voltage) should be present at the + coil, DG/BK **there is power there
    (dark green/black) wire at the injector(s) and at the fuel pump.
    You should hear the fuel pump running. **pretty sure the fuel pump is shot, so I didn't worry about that. I can hear the ASD relay click.
    Is power present?

4)Check HEP (hall effect pickup) circuit.
    Remove the ground wire from the diagnostic connector.
    Using a 12 volt test lamp connected to + coil and ground crank the engine. **after changing the PM I get power to the + side now

5)Check coil control circuit
    Using a 12 volt test lamp connected to - coil and ground crank the engine.
    The test lamp should flash on/off repeatedly.
    If the lamp flashed on/off but no spark...replace the ignition coil.
    If the lamp did not light...replace the ignition coil
    If the test lamp illuminated but did not flash...repair the coil control circuit. **need to get a test lamp, but I am reading 12v with my test meter. I have no clue what the coil control circuit is or how to fix it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ny1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	66043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ny2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	66044