Thread: Chinese Turbos

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Chinese Turbos

I hear people talk about them, but I'm not up on them in regards to where to buy, or how they come configured. Does anyone make a T3 frame clone which we could make into a Frankenstein turbo? I've long been intrigued by the idea of a .48 housing stage I wheel paired with a 50 trim To4E cold side after hearing about Clark using something similar in his CSXT. Heck, I would settle for cheap S60 action to be honest.

Maybe I just haven't looked, but it appears to me that there isn't a cheap way to get parts to roll my own, and I don't see turbos in the JY for $50 all day anymore either.

Anyone else having crazy thoughts like these?

Re: Chinese Turbos

The Chinese made turbos generally come in a standard T3 or T4 pattern. If they are a proprietary design, it is for a current car... So that means to use either you will need to buy/make an adapter plate. Not sure if eBay still has them, but in the past I found some. Other option would be to fabricate your own exhaust manifold...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Amazon carrys a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    Amazon carrys a lot of them.
    I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    The Chinese made turbos generally come in a standard T3 or T4 pattern. If they are a proprietary design, it is for a current car... So that means to use either you will need to buy/make an adapter plate. Not sure if eBay still has them, but in the past I found some. Other option would be to fabricate your own exhaust manifold...
    Would the hot side bolt up to one of our housings? I was hoping that would be the case like the other T3 frame center sections on things like the Fords.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

maxpeedingrods actually has a decent reputation for a china ebay turbo.

If it does bolt to the chrysler housing, you may need to have the housing machined if they used a larger exhaust wheel.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    maxpeedingrods actually has a decent reputation for a china ebay turbo.

If it does bolt to the chrysler housing, you may need to have the housing machined if they used a larger exhaust wheel.

Brian
    I would like the stock wheel, but I could experiment. I think I have a turbo lying around with a .48 housing machined for a stage II wheel. I'll have to double check.
    Last edited by cordes; 06-16-2023 at 08:36 AM.

turbo addict

That combo turbo but Stg3 turbine wheel was a hoot to drive around town in my R/T. I could feel the top end power plateau, definitely a trade-off between top & low-end power.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    That combo turbo but Stg3 turbine wheel was a hoot to drive around town in my R/T. I could feel the top end power plateau, definitely a trade-off between top & low-end power.
    A hoot to drive around town sounds like a good time. Interesting that the stage III wheel gave such good response. What RPM did it come on? When did it make your max boost, and what was it if you can recall?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

You would be wanting to use our factory exhaust housing and preferably our center section. So you would look for a 46 or 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, but be careful, look for one that gives compressor specs and double check those spec when you get it.

I've had a few customers who have gone this route and 46 trims ended up being closer to 40 trim ect. IMS none of the trims worked out to exactly Garret specs, prob for infringement?

Anyway, you will take the entire cold side, backing plate, compressor wheel and cover and it will bolt on to bearing housing.

using a big can T1 W/G actuator solves having to weld bosses to compressor housing. then you just need to deal with the compressor outlet needing to angle away from the head.

Is it worth it vs just purchasing the correct turbo from one of our vendors? I'm going to say no, unless you have the time, welding ability and in the end it's only going to cost you the 200 bucks or less for the unit and never run more than 20 psi.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You would be wanting to use our factory exhaust housing and preferably our center section. So you would look for a 46 or 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, but be careful, look for one that gives compressor specs and double check those spec when you get it.

I've had a few customers who have gone this route and 46 trims ended up being closer to 40 trim ect. IMS none of the trims worked out to exactly Garret specs, prob for infringement?

Anyway, you will take the entire cold side, backing plate, compressor wheel and cover and it will bolt on to bearing housing.

using a big can T1 W/G actuator solves having to weld bosses to compressor housing. then you just need to deal with the compressor outlet needing to angle away from the head.

Is it worth it vs just purchasing the correct turbo from one of our vendors? I'm going to say no, unless you have the time, welding ability and in the end it's only going to cost you the 200 bucks or less for the unit and never run more than 20 psi.
    I have a ton of parts lying around. I have a 46 trim, and I think a 50 trim E wheel, and the backing plate. I have several exhaust housings of various flavors. If this stuff would fit together with an Ebay E cover, that would be super cheap. I'm hoping to get the Lancer problem solved so I can move on to silly things like this. It would be a fun experiment and youtube video if nothing else.
    Last edited by cordes; 06-16-2023 at 07:55 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    A hoot to drive around town sounds like a good time. Interesting that the stage III wheel gave such good response. What RPM did it come on? When did it make your max boost, and what was it if you can recall?
    Try this link. I realized I mistyped in there, the .48 housing was fun to drive even though I said it was a .63. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...1#post11201442
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Try this link. I realized I mistyped in there, the .48 housing was fun to drive even though I said it was a .63. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...1#post11201442
    Thanks for the link. That thread was a blast from the past and perhaps peak Turbo-Mopar.com material. It has only increased my curiosity of such combinations.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I have a ton of parts lying around. I have a 46 trim, and I think a 50 trim E wheel, and the backing plate. I have several exhaust housings of various flavors. If this stuff would fit together with an Ebay E cover, that would be super cheap. I'm hoping to get the Lancer problem solved so I can move on to silly things like this. It would be a fun experiment and youtube video if nothing else.
    The problem is you would most likely need to run the wheel and cover knock off combo, which I don't think is a big deal. I've never measured a knock off wheel that was a match to any of the Garrett wheels, always off by a mm or so. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but having +/- 1mm clearance on the housing, Is a big deal.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The problem is you would most likely need to run the wheel and cover knock off combo, which I don't think is a big deal. I've never measured a knock off wheel that was a match to any of the Garrett wheels, always off by a mm or so. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but having +/- 1mm clearance on the housing, Is a big deal.
    Thanks for that info. That's what I was wondering about when it comes to the turbine side. I guess it makes sense. I just wish I had a mill and a lathe in the house. All of these things would be non issues at that point.