Thread: A/C mystery

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

A/C mystery

I have this A/C system mystery. I have a new four seasons compressor, the system held 29 inches hg. I put 3 cans of R134 into the system. The compressor cycled alot and finally quit. I bypassed the low pressure switch and the compressor runs so the low pressure switch is good as is the A/C clutch thermal switch. I also checked the diode in the plug wiring for the compressor. I mention all these to eliminate extra questions.
    I hooked the vac pump back up to the system and it holds 29 inches. How the heck can the system eat three cans of R134 leaving the system at 0 psi and then hold vacuum. This makes no sense at all to me, any seen this before?
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Re: A/C mystery

What car or truck are you working on? when you by-passed the cycling switch and the compressor was running was the suction side piping cold to the touch?
    Are you saying when you re-connected the vac. pump after you had run it, there was no refrigerant in the system?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

No, the pipe wasn't cold and yes, there was no refrigerant in the system which say big leak. Still pumping it back down it holds pressure but loses about 5 inches of hg in an hour. A very small leak. I would have though there would be evidence of escaping gas but I saw nothing. For example, a plume of lubricant.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, 1985 Shelby Charger, factory not Whittier.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

At SDAC, Warren said that Harbor Freight sells a cheap AC leak detector which you put around the system while it's charged and leaking refrigerant. He suggested that it worked really well. You might try that.

Huge +1 for the extra sealant on the gaskets like Miles suggested in his post.

Hybrid booster

Compressor shaft seals are know to hold great under vacuum as it sucks the seal in and helps it seal. When you add pressure, they leak.

Rattfink, thanks for that input. My particular unit is brand new four seasons. It looks almost like a C171 but has a different position for refrigerant input.

I pressurized the system today and checked all connections with soapy water none had bubbles. Ran water down between the clutch and the front of the compressor. Gurgling commenced. L8kely its the front seal. Called Parts Geek and am expecting emails concerning how they will handle this. Model# 58100. Made in China, go figure.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

It is not a drop on instant conversion, even more so for the cars that never had it as standard equipment in the final years of the 2.2/2.5 family but the Denso 10PA17C is absolutely worth the hassle to convert too if you want reliable A/C for the simple reason that Toyota (denso) still makes that compressor brand new and it does not say 'made in china' on it at all... Between everything I have now and in the past I have put nearly a million miles collectively on those units and zero failures that were not caused by outside influences.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Gurgling commenced. L8kely its the front seal.
    Ahem.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    It is not a drop on instant conversion, even more so for the cars that never had it as standard equipment in the final years of the 2.2/2.5 family but the Denso 10PA17C is absolutely worth the hassle to convert too if you want reliable A/C for the simple reason that Toyota (denso) still makes that compressor brand new and it does not say 'made in china' on it at all... Between everything I have now and in the past I have put nearly a million miles collectively on those units and zero failures that were not caused by outside influences.
    I've been debating adding A/C back to my car, what is required with this conversion? I would like a reliable compressor....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The big aluminum bracket. This is the easier part to locate as 91-95 will all be the same.

The hose ends for the 10PA17C are different and this will be the unknown because the L body never came with that compressor those hoses do not exist in a catalog. Hoses for a P body might work, assuming the L body hoses are shorter ?

The manifold that attaches to the compressor will be the needle in the haystack here. The correct one with the service port machined out and finished will only be found on 91-93 cars that came with R-12 refrigerant. On the 94-95 cars that came with R-134 that service port got moved onto the hose. That hose assembly is unique to those two years, the aftermarket does not make it and chrysler long ago stopped supporting it.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

Hmmmm. Interesting. 1995 Dodge Neon A/C compressor shows 10PA17C. I wonder if i could find the manifold/hoses from a neon and make them work? I may be doing some junkyard trips soon lol.