Thread: 86 Turbo Z Coolant Line question

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

86 Turbo Z Coolant Line question

Hello All!
    It has been awhile for me posting here. I've been tied up with my new toy the past couple years, a 78 Dodge van B200 I'm fixing up. Anyway, the oil seals on my turbo went in my 86 Turbo Z all stock setup (probably due to age, and me not knowing I shouldn't run fully synthetic oil in an engine this old). Anyway, ever since I bought this car, due to the aftermarket turbo cooling line from FWD or Turbos Unleashed, the stainless steel tube which comes out of the thermostat housing and runs back to the turbo, does not hug the side of the cylinder head like the factory lines do. This prevents the factory TI airbox bracket from being installed. It has had a K&N cone filter on it since I've owned it and I hate it. I really want to put the factory air box back in, and now is the time to do it. Is this cooling line the wrong one, or is it installed backwards or something? OR does anyone know of a different line that is still available today?
    Thanks in advance for the advice!
    Lee

turbo addict

Re: 86 Turbo Z Coolant Line question

How would we know if you have it installed correctly without seeing it? Pics often say a thousand words. I do remember many of the early FWDP coolant lines I installed weren't made quite right. IMO, too many adapters, too long, and bends quite not in the correct place. I also remember some of the fittings from some of the vendors were made in China. I always made up my own from name brand AN lines & fittings, or used the factory lines. Those fit perfect. Most people don't bother, because it would require looking up part #'s, ordering, and assembling. Often you get what you pay for...

turbo addict

I've seen a set where it didn't hug the head very close. Figure out how much distance you need to take off one leg, go to a hydraulic hose shop and they should be able to modify or just make you a whole new piece for cheap.

Mitsu booster

I just went through the same thing and realized that the coolant hard line with the 90* bend can go on with either end connected to the T-Stat housing. One way the line is TIGHT against the end of the head, and if you flip the line over and use the other end to the T-Stat housing, it gave me plenty of room to add the air cleaner bracket. In a nut shell, the lengths after the bend are two different lengths. Might want to consider flipping the hard 90* line and see what happens.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS564 View Post
    I just went through the same thing and realized that the coolant hard line with the 90* bend can go on with either end connected to the T-Stat housing. One way the line is TIGHT against the end of the head, and if you flip the line over and use the other end to the T-Stat housing, it gave me plenty of room to add the air cleaner bracket. In a nut shell, the lengths after the bend are two different lengths. Might want to consider flipping the hard 90* line and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replies. Yes a picture is worth a thousand words. I didn't have a picture at the time of that writing. I do recall attempting to flip the tube around, with no luck in the past. Going to a hydraulic shop is a great idea, worst case for me. I do have a picture now, but the last time I was active on here, I think we were loading photos onto Photobucket, then linking to that website. I'll try to figure out how to post up photos
    Thanks,
    Lee

UPDATE: I just became a member of the site again. So here is a picture of what I had. Chris from TU sent me one that hugs the head a lot better, but now it seems too close to the head for the bracket to bolt up. I'll try again with the old line, then I'll take an original factory one to a hydraulic shop and have them bend up one with a fitting on the end to match the braided line connection.
    Thanks!!
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	66143  
    Last edited by Lee'sdaytona; 12-30-2022 at 11:28 PM.