Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom roller rockers

turbo addict

Custom roller rockers

A couple others and I have talking about getting a set of custom roller rockers made up to complete are upgraded valve trains . I was think of finding some one to machine some aluminum or chromemoly ones and swap in the rollers from are stockers. im looking for weight reduction and maybe a roller tip if possible .
    How many would be into some thing like this ? and if you had any other ideas would be great.

Re: Custom roller rockers

If anything, I'd like a roller tip. Our valves always seem to get pushed a bit on an angle.
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

Was looking at ford 4.6 v8 rocker looks close and the lifters. but haven't
    found an alu. rocker.
    Last edited by bakes; 07-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.

turbo addict

id like aluminum, could there be a possibility of getting different ratio? or some way to modify the location of the roller part that rides on the cam to change the geometry, or can this only be solved by a cam with a larger base circle?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Interested.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

count me in

turbo addict

Would roller tip add to much weight to the wrong end?

turbo addict

Interested if it had a roller tip

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Interested if it had a roller tip
    Right.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Instead of a roller tip could we ground a radius into the tip of the valvestem?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

If you change the location of the roller that touches the cam you may change the rocker ratio, but you will also change the degree-in of the cam.

Think about it, the cam is now touching the roller in a different spot, it has to turn to a different spot to be at the same point on the lobe.

Lightbulb Re: Custom roller rockers

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    ... could there be a possibility of getting different ratio?
    More than 1.74? That's already pretty big by some standards.

A larger roller would solve a few problems. You'd gain some acceleration and at the same time reduce side loading. This could also compensate for the reduced base circle on reground cams. Stock rockers could be modified for this.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    If you change the location of the roller that touches the cam you may change the rocker ratio, but you will also change the degree-in of the cam.

Think about it, the cam is now touching the roller in a different spot, it has to turn to a different spot to be at the same point on the lobe.
    I'm going to disagree. The ratio is a function of the pivot point vs the length of rocker contact points on either side of it, as in the SBC. In our case its all about the pivot point, closer to the cam the higher the ratio (and valve lift for a given cam lift), as well as the stress on the rocker and the acceleration of the valve, all other factors being the same. Normally the pivot point and tip are not something you can (or would want to) change, normally. Ours is a odd lot, the roller on the cam really needs to stay on the center-line, while the tip almost doesn't matter, assuming it's contact point is long enough to not slide off the valve tip at max lift, but if you want a different ratio, you'll have to change the pivot point...

The real problem as I see it is that the pivot point can't easily be changed. The only practical way I can see is to build new, mechanical lifters/adjusters with the pivot off-set one way or the other to increase or decrease the ratio. They would have to be indexed and not allowed to turn in their bores as well.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    More than 1.74? That's already pretty big by some standards.

A larger roller would solve a few problems. You'd gain some acceleration and at the same time reduce side loading. This could also compensate for the reduced base circle on reground cams. Stock rockers could be modified for this.
    +1
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Was looking at ford 4.6 v8 rocker looks close and the lifters. but haven't
    found an alu. rocker.
    I like the larger than ours camshaft roller on a 4.6 rocker. A larger roller has some valve lift and duration changing capabilities while keeping the same camshaft. When I was doing measurements the larger roller was worth 9-deg of duration. And depending on where it is placed in the rocker arm (closer to the lifter) it could offer increased lift with added acceleration as well. Actually it would be sweet to have some choices between different roller sizes and placements to play around with between the intake and exhaust lobes.
    Last edited by glhs875; 07-19-2010 at 10:52 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    I like the larger than ours camshaft roller on a 4.6 rocker. A larger roller has some valve lift and duration changing capabilities while keeping the same camshaft. When I was doing measurements the larger roller was worth 9-deg of duration. And depending on where it is placed in the rocker arm (closer to the lifter) it could offer increased lift with added acceleration as well. Actually it would sweet to have some choices between different roller sizes and placements to play around with between the intake and exhaust lobes.
    That is what i was thinking too.

turbo addict

when i made the statement about a different ratio, i didnt say more or less, just a change

id also like a rocker that could help with using a regrind cam, id love to buy a new cam cut from a blank, but its not totally in the budget yet. or if modified rockers can fix our geometry problem, plus increase lift and duration from a stock cam, sounds good to me.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Ours is a odd lot, the roller on the cam really needs to stay on the center-line, while the tip almost doesn't matter, assuming it's contact point is long enough to not slide off the valve tip at max lift, but if you want a different ratio, you'll have to change the pivot point...
    Maybe I'm not visualizing this the same. Why would the roller need to stay on the centerline? I'm looking at things like this:
    Instead of having the rocker spaced like this: valve......roller....lifter
    Space it like this: valve........roller..lifter It keeps the overall length the same, so there's no engineering one-off lifters, etc.

Higher ratio for higher lift and effectively more duration. It will change the cam timing quite a bit, but that's what adjustable gears are for.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Maybe I'm not visualizing this the same. Why would the roller need to stay on the centerline? I'm looking at things like this:
    Instead of having the rocker spaced like this: valve......roller....lifter
    Space it like this: valve........roller..lifter It keeps the overall length the same, so there's no engineering one-off lifters, etc.

Higher ratio for higher lift and effectively more duration. It will change the cam timing quite a bit, but that's what adjustable gears are for.
    Ya but what about the guys already running higher lift cams they will mash the valve retainers in the valve guides

Mitsu booster

lookin for a upgrade for shaft rocker arms?????[/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast