Thread: Tuning for 14.7:1

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Tuning for 14.7:1

I have my WB2NB working but here is my experience. I cannot get this engine to idle at 14.7 to 1 nor will it run down the road at that ratio. 13.1 to 13.9 or worse. I have tried adjusting peftbl and this hasn't worked. The f/a stays stubbornly in the 13's. It works fine in full throttle adjustments.
    If you have experienced this and solved the problem I sure would like to hear what you did because the car is using way more fuel than it did with the stock O2 sensor.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Tuning for 14.7:1

what are your TPS volts at idle?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

O.00% @ 1084 rpm. 14.5% @ 2284 RPM 100 % @ WOT.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

no volts. I just want to make sure they are low (less than 1v) at closed throttle and above 3v at WOT.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Ok, thanks

Garrett booster

On the LM, for idle it helps to adjust the base fuel table, not pumping eff. I can't remember if that also applies to the SMEC. But if your SMEC calibration ran fine with the narrow band sensor, then you shouldn't have to change any fuel tables.
    Last edited by jpcturbo; 04-11-2022 at 04:44 PM.

I never operated the smec with the O2 sensor. I changed the fuel baseline from map at the bottom of the scale and was able to get the f/a to look like it did with the LM. I am going to try the same thing at cruising speed. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcturbo View Post
    On the LM, for idle it helps to adjust the base fuel table, not pumping eff. I can't remember if that also applies to the SMEC. But if your SMEC calibration ran fine with the narrow band sensor, then you shouldn't have to change any fuel tables.
    It probably is the same on the SMEC. I like to dial in the PEFTBL at wot from around 1500 on up before I start messing with FuelBaselineFromMap.

Some folks adjust all 3 tables (FuelBaselineFromMap, FuelPartThrottle and FuelFullThrottle) with scaling so that it idles at 14.7 before they adjust the PEFTBL. They both seem to work just fine.

Brian

What I ended up doing was installing a switch in the engine compartment to select between O2 and WB2NB. This allowed me to tune WOT in wide band and then switch to O2 where afr is looking like the LM reading on the AEM. As per Brian I am also installing a ground wire for the AEM to the fuel rail instead of the chassis because a difference between 0v at ground and the SMEC might change the the O2 voltage the SMEC is shooting for.

I got the AEM grounded directly to the battery and tested in WB2NB. The readings where a bit more stable and a few more readings in the 14's. So the ground seems to have made some difference.