Okay I know this is a pretty well covered topic, but let me explain.

Years and years ago, I did my own timing belt using the 90° twist method to tension and it was fine forever after.

Recently, I finished a rebuild and slapped on a new belt. Gave it the 1/4 turn test and away I went. However, I noticed the belt riding quite to the outside after the engine warmed up (expanded).

So, I got the special tool to tension the belt, which ended up being almost exactly the same as what I had set. Still, belt seemed tight.

So I loosened the belt tension even a little bit more. I'm not sure if it'd be safe to go any looser, but when the engine warms up the belt rides on the outsides still.

The only difference here other than a new belt is that I put on a fidanza adjustable cam sprocket I bought from TU. I know the aluminum is going to expand more than the original sprocket would, but this seems excessive.

Below is a link to a Google album containing 4 videos.

1: Belt tension cold engine (77°F outside)

2: Belt position running cold - seems fine here.

3: Belt position running hot - also I rev it a couple times, was hearing a somewhat metallic sounding resonance from the valve cover area. You hear it most when the engine comes back to idle in the video. Not sure if that's from the forged pistons, the 3.3 springs and GM retainer mod, just a normal sound for these engines, or something to be worried about lol.

4: belt tension after shutting down hot engine.

Is this going to be a problem?

Should I loosen the belt even more? I don't particularly like how snug it gets when warmed up, but I'm just not sure how loose you can go on these belts..it seems so sloppy when cold already.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mYy1xoJqiGc92Nk99