Thread: BoostButton SMEC WB2NB Glitch?

Garrett booster

Question BoostButton SMEC WB2NB Glitch?

I've been using a SMEC v19.3 BoostButton tune on my 1989 Daytona with the narrowband as the O2 sensor. It idled at 14.7 almost on the dot.

Well recently I turned on the WB2NB setting, scaled it to my AEM 0-5v 10-20 AFR gauge (Double checked with Aries' post here) and got MPScan and the physical AFR gauge reading the exact same thing. However, I'm running into an issue where the AFR is sitting about 11.5:1 - 12.5:1.

Don't mind the baro gauge, I was just flipping through gauges and clicked on that one by accident.

You'll see the AFR being commanded is 14.7ish and what's actually being read is 11.6, which is accurate based on the O2V. You can see the scale for my gauge on page 5 of this document:
    https://www.aemintakes.com/instructi...-4100_inst.pdf

I was looking around on the forums and about the only thing I could find was this, where some one has the EXACT same issue as I do:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1091717

Possibility it's a bug with the tune? Any help is appreciated.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: BoostButton SMEC WB2NB Glitch?

Have you reviewed the change log on the cal templates? I think the current version is v19.6
    I would recommend starting with that cal template first.
    (I don't think I have the change log on my phone to verify.)

But you can download the latest templates here:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...284#post283284

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

I guess I should specify I'm using the latest Stage 2 SMEC Auto cal I've found. It says v19, but doesn't specify the specific subversion. Looks like it was last compiled in 2014 based on the Google Drive link I downloaded them from originally. I'll check out the CAL templates, I've never messed with these files before, so I'll see what I come up with.

Garrett booster

Okay, I've had time to mess with this. So here's the results.

With the Stage 2 SMEC Auto tune, with the gauge in the P0 (0-5v) mode with the WB2NB correction it will idle at 11.5:1 AFR.

The same tune with WB2NB turned off and the gauge set to P4 (0-1v) it idles at 14.5 to 15.0 as you'd expect.

I made a new tune from the latest version of the template called "T-SMEC_25_ATX_A285_Stock" I added my WB2NB corrections and enabled WB2NB, it is also having the 11.5:1 issue.

Again, my gauge's voltage range is on the first post in the PDF link on page 5. So it looks like the ECU is receiving the correct voltage.

I can post my BINs if need be if that'd help any.

Garrett booster

I'm still reading up on this issue and having a hard time finding anything. For now I have the voltage offset set to .3v so at least during idle it's not drowning in fuel. It does have the side effect of the commanded AFR being skewed.

Is there way to see the calculation that's being done that converts the wideband AFR to narrowband voltage?

Garrett booster

I've never used the SMECs WB2NB feature before so here's my guess. You can see the simulated narrow band output by setting up a gage for O2VAL (207). Also the AFRwb gage should be adjusted to have a range from 10 to 20 like the AFRCMD gage. Double check the two WB2NB tables are set to the 10 - 20 AFR range too.

Looking at the SMEC cal and MPScan, it looks like AFRwb (108) is the raw 0-5v signal from your AEM wideband controller. AFRCMD (206) is the output value of the WidebandToAFRTransferFunction (WB2AFR) table; the AFRwb value is used in that table to find AFRCMD. Then AFRCMD is used to lookup the narrow band value in WidebandAFRToO2TransferFunction (AFR2NB) table. The results of the lookup is added to the NarrowBandOffsetValue and then stored in O2VAL (207).

Garrett booster

That was is it. Omg I feel stupid. Any time I changed scales I didn't double check all the values to see if everything was scaling with it.

This needed scaled from x0 y0 to x255 y255 with 10-20 with the min and max being set.

Now everything is looking peachy.

Feel so dumb for not seeing that.

Thanks for all the help y'all.