Thread: Heater blows cold

Hybrid booster

Heater blows cold

Hey guys, just wanted to bounce this off the members here before I go about draining my coolant and tearing into things.

When I parked my car 5 years ago the heater worked. I rebuilt it finally, but now my heater does not work.

When the car was waiting for the short block to be finished, I flushed out the heater core with CLR, and everything seemed fine there.

I've verified that the blend door is moving from side to side when moving the cable controls.

Below is an image of how I have my heater bypass valve routed...I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220316_233332450~2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	65837

I've also verified that the valve isn't seeing vacuum and bypassing the heater core itself.

Both of my heater hoses remain cold.

At this point I don't know what to do except drain it, replace the bypass valve for good measure, and triple check that the heater core and associated hoses are all free of blockage and can flow freely.

-Zach

turbo addict

Re: Heater blows cold

if you need heat ,now ,simply delete the valve using some tubing to join the hoses

I think later cars maybe 90's + don't have it anyways

the blend door may prove sufficient ..at least until mid summer (?)

Hybrid booster

You could also bypass the bypass valve.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    if you need heat ,now ,simply delete the valve using some tubing to join the hoses

I think later cars maybe 90's + don't have it anyways

the blend door may prove sufficient ..at least until mid summer (?)
    Agreed. Not only did they do away with it on latr cars, but I doubt it would be noticed in OR anyway.

Hybrid booster

Tempting to just remove it altogether, hmm..either way I'll have to drain the coolant and get in there. If the problem is apparent when I do, I may just pop in my spare. Never had a problem with the system before..but, I do know some squirrels got into the engine bay when the car was sitting. They stuffed acorns in my turbo and heater hoses..they might have shoved some ---- in that valve too lol

turbo addict

The bypass valves are prone to leaks, esp. aftermarket ones. That is main reason for eliminating them. I have removed mine from several cars with working AC. All work great without it. Not much of a risk.
    Heater hoses should not be cold regardless. Something obviously isn't right, as even a stuck open thermostat will eventually result in warm but not hot heat. You should probably check every hose in the entire system for blockage. Is the car running cold/hot on gauge? Is the car reaching full operational temperature? Do you have infrared temp sensor to check head/radiator temps? If not, pretty useful tool for checking all sorts of things. They have come way down in price.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Hi Todd,

I have an aftermarket temp gauge and the stocker hooked up. Engine temps are reading just fine, with normal ranges and proper fan scheduling. Haven't checked with an infrared, but I have a middling quality one from Amazon I can play with next time I take it for a drive.

Honestly I'm expecting some sort of physical blockage, the rodents had a lot of fun with this car when it was sitting. Here's what I dug out of my cowl when prepping to drop in the engine🙄
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211016_201135244.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	65838  

turbo addict

potential blockage .. if unused for a length of time the little pivot shaft in the valve is likely rusted stuck in the plastic..

or the diagram is wasted..
    or you have vacuum leak in the line somewhere

have you at least tried to move the little link below the diafram on the valve?
    start ..there

Hybrid booster

Yup, I did. The spring does it's job and the valve isn't seeing vacuum when it shouldn't. The valve itself appears to be okay.

turbo addict

if you have a few pairs of locking pliers and some cardboard you don't need to drain much to remove the valve .. simply , gently clamp off the heater hoses using the cardboard wrapped around the hoses to protect them

cereal box or such will do and an old towel under the work area will take care of any minor spillage

a spill tray could be easily made cutting up a washer fluid jug to pour the little bit of coolest in the hose ends out..if you don't have room to simply stick the hose end in the jug opening

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

nice suggestion Johny
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

thanks..
    some dollar store C clamps would do the trick , probably better with regard to space

Hybrid booster

Just as an update. Found the problem. Was the fecking squirrels like I suspected!

Dang acorn was in the return line to the water pump. So, the water in the heater system just had nowhere to go. No flow, no heat.

Problem solved. I ended up deleting the bypass valve, and I don't think my heater has ever worked as well lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220327_205850242.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	65852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220327_205844352.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	65853  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

So, someone or something dropped an acorn down in the raf? That’s a rare one!

Hybrid booster

The car seat for quite a while all torn apart, the rodents had some fun. I thought I had caught everything, acorns in the turbo, IC, and charge piping. Acorns in some radiator hoses. Nest in the cowl. They chewed through the lower IC hose so I had to source another one of those 🙄

But I guess I missed one last surprise. They haaad to stuff another 'present' in that lower water pump hose.

turbo addict

Well glad you found it Zach. One by one, all those bugs are getting worked out! Yes those squirrels once got into the interior of one of my l-bodies. They decided the top of my radio was a good place the pee and defecate. In the spring, found radio had shorted out. Tore the whole car apart looking for their nest. Of course started at the front of vehicle, found the nest in the carpet insulation between the taillights. That took a while...Another time the distance sensor wiring was apparently used as dental floss. That could have been squirrels too I guess.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Well glad you found it Zach. One by one, all those bugs are getting worked out! Yes those squirrels once got into the interior of one of my l-bodies. They decided the top of my radio was a good place the pee and defecate. In the spring, found radio had shorted out. Tore the whole car apart looking for their nest. Of course started at the front of vehicle, found the nest in the carpet insulation between the taillights. That took a while...Another time the distance sensor wiring was apparently used as dental floss. That could have been squirrels too I guess.
    Todd
    Thanks Todd. Yup! I'm determined to restore old Jango to his former glory. While I've had the car for 15 years, it's been down for about the last 5. But before that I took it everywhere for 10 years without any major issues. Still chasing down that misfire condition, but that's the last high priority item for me.

This has been my first encounter with rodents making a home out of my car - certainly frustrating, but I think I got off somewhat easy compared to you. At least my best was pretty obvious. It's the piss that's the worst. Can't imagine what radio electronics shorting in it must have been like 😬

Just today when I was fixing the heater I figured I'd fix the driver corner light on the fender cause it was burnt out since I got the Lancer running again. Popped it out and the whole pigtail just came with it. Looks like rodents chewed through the wires right where they travel through a port in the sheet metal, tucked behind the SMEC, battery, and overflow tank. I can probably solder it, but not without taking all that out..

I ended up just popping the thing back in it's socket and dusting my hands. That's a project for another time lol