Thread: Daytona Shelby stuck in gear

boostaholic

Daytona Shelby stuck in gear

Just purchased an 89 Daytona Shelby that had been sitting for 20 + years in the original owners garage . One day when he was driving the story I got was that the “trans locked up on him”. I have not looked into it yet but figured I’d get some opinions before I tear into it.

if I attempt to crank the engine even with the shifter in the neutral location with clutch out it attempts to pull the car forward. If I push clutch in and crank it cranks normal .. with clutch in I cannot (even if I try to force it) get the shifter into the 1st and 3rd location. I am able to successfully put the shifter into 5th, 2nd and 4th though . I attempted starting it again after finding those gears successfully without the clutch pushed in and with the shifter back to the neutral location and it still is stuck in one of the gears…

let me know what you guys think

Hybrid booster

Re: Daytona Shelby stuck in gear

Not sure if the problem is the same but this is similar to what happened to my Omni. And FYI my Omni has a 89 TII motor and trans out of a 89 Daytona Shelby Z. So after sitting for 9 years it was stuck in gear like yours. I was 99% sure it was the clutch stuck to the flywheel. I was luck it popped loose when I cranked it a few times in gear. Just make sure you have room for it to jump forward on you.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    Not sure if the problem is the same but this is similar to what happened to my Omni. And FYI my Omni has a 89 TII motor and trans out of a 89 Daytona Shelby Z. So after sitting for 9 years it was stuck in gear like yours. I was 99% sure it was the clutch stuck to the flywheel. I was luck it popped loose when I cranked it a few times in gear. Just make sure you have room for it to jump forward on you.
    Was your shifter the same way ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would check that you can use the lever on the trans to actuate the gears. It not, pull the selector cover and have a look. If it’s not something obvious, it would think the trans will need to come out.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I would check that you can use the lever on the trans to actuate the gears. It not, pull the selector cover and have a look. If it’s not something obvious, it would think the trans will need to come out.
    agreed, thank you