Thread: Starter Comparison for 89 Turbo Caravan - Nippodenso vs Bosch

Hybrid booster

Arrow Starter Comparison for 89 Turbo Caravan - Nippodenso vs Bosch

I am looking to replace the starter on my 89 turbo caravan, as it has started making noise. I am looking at the 9T Bosch and 11T Nippondenso starters.

1. Does the Nippondenso starter sound better or spin over the engine faster than the Bosch or vice versa? I've always thought the current starter has sounded cheap.
    2. Do both the 9 and 11T starters work on the 89 turbo caravan flywheel?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Starter Comparison for 89 Turbo Caravan - Nippodenso vs Bosch

Either starter will work fine. Fitment wise they are interchangeable 100%. The denso will draw a little less power because they are rated lower being an offset gear reduction vs the bosch using a planetary gear train to make the power multiplication.

The denso style starter is said to be slightly more compact vs the bosch unit especially if your working with a non stock style exhaust/turbo setup and space is at a premium. I personally have never come across the denso starter in person to make the comparison. All of my stuff over the years has always been the bosch unit and they have all served me well, the mostly original bosch starter on my n/a Shadow lasted almost 28 years and 390,000+ miles before it checked out last year.

Any Chrysler product whether old, new or somewhere in between is instantly recognizable as being equipped with a Denso starter because they sound just like a Toyota cranking over. The bosch unit imo has its own sound, not really like anything else.

If it has not been done. Pulling the starter and shining up the battery cable and solenoid connection can easily improve a slower spinning starter. The heat of the engine can really oxidize those connections and limit the current flow, on my Shadow I make it a yearly thing now to shine them up with scotchbrite even if they are not appearing to be dirty. Every time it make a noticeable difference.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

Re: Starter Comparison for 89 Turbo Caravan - Nippodenso vs Bosch

an aluminum flywheel and UDP will really increase the speed the the motor spins over when starting it. My 2.5 sounded like a machine gun.