Thread: Possible short to power 90 Daytona

Mitsu booster

Possible short to power 90 Daytona

Hi all,

I have a 1990 Daytona 2.2 and I believe I have an issue with ground shorted to power somewhere messing with my asd and causing it to turn on and off at random with the key on. I checked continuity between positive and negative undone from battery and I had continuity. I left positive attached and checked for voltage from negative post to unhooked negative terminal and found 12 volts. I then checked for voltage between the ground at the head and the negative post and I get 12 volts. I unplugged the connector the battery grounds run through and cleaned the connector up and in that time the cylinders filled with fuel and hydro locked the engine had to take the spark plugs out and turn it over blasting gas everywhere. Is it safe to assume I have to chase down a short to power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Possible short to power 90 Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by Slam92 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 1990 Daytona 2.2 and I believe I have an issue with ground shorted to power somewhere messing with my asd and causing it to turn on and off at random with the key on. I checked continuity between positive and negative undone from battery and I had continuity.
    I would expect that since there is a circuit present. What was the ohmage?

I left positive attached and checked for voltage from negative post to unhooked negative terminal and found 12 volts.
    If you checked for 12 volts with a multimeter, that is the result I would expect... With the ground open circuited (no current) there would be 12v.

I then checked for voltage between the ground at the head and the negative post and I get 12 volts.
    Not sure what you are doing here, but I think that is what I would expect...

I unplugged the connector the battery grounds run through and cleaned the connector up and in that time the cylinders filled with fuel and hydro locked the engine had to take the spark plugs out and turn it over blasting gas everywhere.
    Not clear on what you did here...

Is it safe to assume I have to chase down a short to power?
    What goes away when the ASD turns off? Is the power going away or the ground path? Or is the relay failing and opening when it is commanded closed? ECU disabling the ASD?

(It has been a while since I looked at the wiring diagram for the ASD. I will try and check it tonight to give some more specific diagnostic tests...)

Given that a fuse or fusable link has not blown, I doubt that the problem is direct short... More likely you have a failing relay, a broken wire, or some other condition that is causing the ECU to disable the ASD. Have you tried pushing (GENTLY) on the wiring of the ASD and see if it drops out?

Mitsu booster

Re: Possible short to power 90 Daytona

Power to starter was grounding
    On my engine block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk