Thread: 1990 Daytona powder driver seat moving but not enough

Hybrid booster

1990 Daytona powder driver seat moving but not enough

Trying to get my sons Daytona project going and while I was getting in it to move it in the driveway I notice the seat was all jacked up. Asked my son what was the issue because I let him put the interior back together (was purchased disassembled). Everything on the power seat works. It will go up and back, but only a few inches before it stops. Seat isn't currently bolted in because the few inches of travel it has is all the way at the front. So any ideas what to look for? Out of all the TD's I have had, none had a nice interior with power seats.

Re: 1990 Daytona powder driver seat moving but not enough

Likely the seat motor is dieing, binding or has a bad connection. I would back probe the connector with a multimeter and watch the voltage to the seat motor as you move it. If the voltage drops, there is a bad connection (or bad switch). Might also put a clamp on amp connector and see if current drops or increases...

Assuming voltage stays reasonable, I would pull the seat and look the mechanism. If the grease is contaminated with dirt, the next step would be to clean it and regrease. (I would probably use silicon lubricant since that doesn't attract dirt.) Most likely the seat motor is dieing and would need to be replaced. Can you get the seat motors?

May be easier to get either aftermarket seats or junkyard seats and adapt them to your car. That is what I did for my son's 91 Daytona. If you get junkyard seats, make sure they sit pretty close to the floorpan. The first set of seats I pulled sat way to high and there was no way for me to cut them down to sit lower. Second set was out of a Dodge Stealth and fit much better.

turbo addict

first ,remove the seat from the power slider then bolt the slider mechanism to the floor
    they usually don't work well if they can flex out of "straight"

and this way you can see it working or not working

I did have a power seat that was weak..I had to push or pull myself and the seat forwards or backwards while holding the button but it worked well enough to get adjusted where it needed to stay ..after that it didn't matter anymore

turbo addict

and , if the seat side trim is simular in a "90 to the 86-89 seats then you can add a power track to the passenger seat ..you'll need the lower seat trim from a K car with both power front seats as the trim has the mounting point for the seat switches

power accessories also use circuit breakers not fuses as the fuse will burn out when a motor reaches "end of travel"