Thread: Who services injectors?

Hybrid booster

Who services injectors?

Hey all,

After rebuilding my engine I've noticed I'm still getting fuel diluted oil. My oil only has about 100 miles on it and the dipstick already has a gassy smell.

I'll be doing some diagnostics, but I have a hunch it's the stock injectors sticking open, or leaking fuel after shutdown while the system is still pressurized.

I know there was a shop that services and flow tests injectors at a decent cost (compared to buying new) people have used here before.

If I do need to get my injectors serviced, I'd like to already have a lead on who to use.

Does anyone have the name of a reputable business who does injector cleaning/servicing? I've seen Mr. Injector mentioned a couple times. Thanks!!

-Zach

turbo addict

Re: Who services injectors?

Zach,
    Yes Mr. injector. Bill Johnson does a great job, and is very fair on his pricing, shipping charges, and turn around time. You even get some Jolly Rancher candy out of the deal!
    Just make sure you tell him to run flowbench at 55 PSI and not 43.5 PSI. That way your flowbench readings will be on par with what Chrysler rated them at. If you have any extra injectors, send them with, as he cannot repair any that may have external leaks. Just having them available to him, will speed up the process in case he finds one or more not rebuildable.
    In the past I was expecting the same thing you did (dribbling injectors), he left them on his flowbench overnight, and checked them for leakage.
    What size injectors are you running? Stock program, stock fuel pressure, stock cylinder head?
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Yup they're just the stock injectors. I have a set from a 90 TI car, but I think those flow less than the TII. Good tip on the 55psi!

As for the rest of the setup, I have a stage III cal from FWD, original FPR, and pretty much stock head with mild port/polish, 3 angle valve job, and conical spring mod.

There must be something wrong with the fuel delivery system because this engine is a fresh build with forged Pistons and new rings.

I'll be doing compression just in case, but I doubt it's related to the rings/bore.

Will be checking the FPR for gas in the vacuum line, etc. Will likely need to rent a fuel pressure test kit from AutoZone. I've heard that the Schrader valves on the rails are prone to leaking once you break the 30 year old seal..hopefully I don't create more problems there.

Tomorrow I'm changing my oil and seeing if I can get a muff shop to weld the bung on for my AEM wideband O2 sensor, cause I want to get an A/F reading as well to see if I'm running pig rich somehow.

Last thing I want is to ruin my fresh build with diluted oil 🙄

Hybrid booster

Oh and Todd you helped me out with my post about leaking exhaust studs. I was able to seal up the one stud I had some sort of access to (furthest passenger side that hits water), but now one somewhere behind the starter is leaking worse of course lol. This head is going to need to come off so I can redo them properly, but I'm hoping to get the gas dilution issue figured out before pulling it.

Garrett booster

Ive always used Deatschwerks to clean all my injectors. They do a great job, will add filters if they dont have them, new orings, and sealed in plastic along with a print off of the flow numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Was able to get my wideband A/F gauge all hooked up and those numbers seem acceptable so far, so I'll certainly need to go through some fuel system diagnostics to learn more.

Here are my A/F findings:

Half throttle boost - between 14.2-15.5; usually staying around 14.7

Full throttle boost - between 10-10.5 - higher gear flooring it hangs around 10 even.

Idle at operating temp - 14.5-15.5

Slight throttle boost can hang around the 15s, is this a concern for being too lean while boosting?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    Was able to get my wideband A/F gauge all hooked up and those numbers seem acceptable so far, so I'll certainly need to go through some fuel system diagnostics to learn more.

Here are my A/F findings:

Half throttle boost - between 14.2-15.5; usually staying around 14.7

Full throttle boost - between 10-10.5 - higher gear flooring it hangs around 10 even.

Idle at operating temp - 14.5-15.5

Slight throttle boost can hang around the 15s, is this a concern for being too lean while boosting?
    The half throttle while in boost is definitely lean and wide open throttle is way rich. I would be say 12-13's at part throttle and low 11's at wot depending on boost level of course those numbers could change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Right now I'm only running about 4psi direct manifold source to wastegate, since it's a fresh motor and turbo I'm still breaking in.

I've read from others that 11 is desired for WOT, but the stock system runs even more rich for engine safety purposes. 10-10.5 seemed pretty on par for factory.

That being said, I don't have an AFPR so I'm not sure what to do about the lean conditions.

As mentioned before I'm running a FWD Stage III cal, so that might have something to do with the A/F's.

Hybrid booster

Thinking about things a little more..part throttle boost is probably looking lean because I'm still in closed loop, so the ECU will be trying to keep things as close to 14.7 as possible. Full throttle is obviously going to set open loop on a Stage III ECU designed to run 15psi. I have a feeling that it won't be as rich when I turn the boost up again.

The problem is how to get a richer mixture in boosted closed loop. I'm not sure if I really can without perhaps making a custom tune, and I'm not looking to do that at this time.

I have forged pistons in the engine now so it can take a little bit more abuse, but I think for now my best bet may just be to keep it out of boost unless I'm flooring it.

Hybrid booster

I had Injector Masters up in Clackamas do a set for me a couple months ago.
    503-819-9910

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

many have had good success with an ultrasonic cleaner and seafoam with the screens removed and the injector tips in the fluid. the ultrasonic cleaner causes the seafoam to flow backwards up and out of the inlet. then you test them by flowing them with a diy flow bench with graduated cylinders and an injector driver.

as for the tune... part throttle on a stock based tune into boost is going to be lean.... unless you add fuel from ~5psi on up in the FuelPartThrottle table.

You also need to check NoCellUpdateAboveThisMAP... its generally set to still update the closed loop controls into boost to 3psi. its still going to be seeking 14.7 at 3psi below 2700rpms based on this table NoCellUpdateAboveThisRPMInRPMOver32.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info, Brian! After running through my diagnostics with a rented fuel pressure kit and injector pulse tester, I'm likely just going to send my injectors out to Mr. Injector instead of trying to make a cleaning set up myself. It's worth the $18 per injector in my opinion and they do pretty much what you described, along with the flow testing and replacement filters, o-rings, pintle caps, etc.

As for the tune, I haven't equipped myself with the ability to flash my own tune. I've been vaguely interested in the concept, but was hoping to just run off the FWD tune. I mean, I've been running that cal for well over a decade, but I never had a wideband before so I just didn't realize how lean part throttle can be lol

Hybrid booster

Also was curious if I'd notice much difference by sending the AEM's simulated narrow band signal to the ECU and just disable the standard 02 sensor. From what I remember it's a Bosch replacement that I put in when I got the car about 15 years ago..

I'm still learning so maybe it's normal, but it seems like the A/F bounces around a bit more radically than you'd expect even for closed loop functions.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    Also was curious if I'd notice much difference by sending the AEM's simulated narrow band signal to the ECU and just disable the standard 02 sensor. From what I remember it's a Bosch replacement that I put in when I got the car about 15 years ago..

I'm still learning so maybe it's normal, but it seems like the A/F bounces around a bit more radically than you'd expect even for closed loop functions.
    I used my simulated narrow band signal from my 14point7 WB but found the engine went lean too quickly after starting before the engine was warm. I switched back to narrow band O2 control. Yes I could have tuned the cold enhancement, maybe next time
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH