Thread: Where did you go ?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Where did you go ?

In the race to the bottom Rockauto has finally gotten there. Your business model of eliminating the person and replacing them with an automated website full of run-around BS is shining strong.

In a recently placed order I was looking for a gasket. Your catalog listing only showed one gasket, taking the original Chrysler part number I found multiple listings for the same gasket and one of those listings was available to ship with everything else. Otherwise it was another $10 to ship a $2 gasket. The picture and part number were a match to what I expected to get. Fast-forward a week and stuff arrives, none of the gaskets were correct. Going back to the vendor catalog (Dana) it would appear that part number is correct and their image of the part also looks right.

Attempting to remedy the situation through your convoluted website only resulted in getting nothing. Because your catalog listing says this part does not fit my vehicle in question it is on me to eat it. My time has more value than the $8 those four gaskets cost and the return shipping would cost more anyways.

In your quest to be the top dog you forgot where you came from. For years I have put up with the mediocre packaging that has defined rockauto. Occasionally stuff gets destroyed and in the past years before your decision to get rid of your customer service. When errors like this occurred it was a 60 second phone call to get things straight. To stop the insanity and in the long run probably cost less than to keep shipping the wrong part and having it returned on your dime.

The last order I placed with R/A was yesterday and this evening after seeing it still had not proceeded due to technical errors on your end and the real burn with your automated customer screw over experience I decided it is time to call it done and cancel it and go elsewhere. Amazon might be ruining the world but at least they get it right and get it done on time, almost every time with no where near the level of BS that has come to define my experience with Rockauto.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Where did you go ?

I have been very lucky so far with very few errors. I am sure my time will come!!
    Due to the border I cannot send anything back.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

No telling how many probably tens of thousands of dollars I have spent with R/A over the past 15+ years now. Just not worth it anymore. Wrong stuff, missing pieces, destroyed/damaged in transit since they cannot pack a box to save their life.

The final straw that broke the camels back here reminds me of an order I placed last month, window regulators for my truck. Their catalog listing did not show a Dorman regulator for the truck. Looked up the Dorman number and ran it, sure enough they had it. Click on the 'fitment guide' and sure enough it showed as fitting the truck but because their catalog did not show it. It was ordered as a 'no vehicle selected' option. Had their been the same issue as this last one (wrong part) I would have had the same sorry about your luck BS automated response.

Between Napa, Advance and amazon there is a little more effort required to find everything now but they seemingly want the business. Add it all up in the end and its all about the same on final price and nowhere near the constant heartburn.

Hybrid booster

I never had an issue with Rock Auto until semi-recently.

I ordered a set of brake hoses for my Lancer. Both front and rear.

They ended up sending me 2 left front hoses, a right front hose, and one rear hose. Checked the invoice and sure enough I ordered it correctly.

On top of that, only ONE of the three front hoses has the banjo fitting copper washers included. It was the most bizarre end result.

But because I ordered the parts many months ago and trusted the package to have the correct items, I was up the creek without a paddle. Their automated system just simply didn't allow for any resolution because I was outside of the 30-day return window.

Now I'm still going to be a user of RA, at least for now, but since that experience I'm being a lot more careful going forward.

turbo addict

only used rock auto 2 or 3 times so far but I've done ok..just bought leaf springs for my truck ..rated 500#'s above stock half ton..if anything could have gone wrong it was with that project ..'specially as they showed up in seperate trucks at different times

buying parts online that have multiple versions can be a gamble simply as you're not standing at the counter
    I do like to try to support the local shops but sometimes they simply can't offer the stuff I need

I use a supplier up here in toronto ..buying parts ,online, same truck ,I got a tie rod end that may or may not be correct and another that's different , been handled by filthy hands and came in a box , labeled the same as the other..so somebody ain't checking their returns..also ..waited to long to open the box
    so I'll have to redue the purchase and return these in the "current boxes.."

turbo addict

aa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A14B7F1-0869-470D-A7A8-B182AA443F35.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	65713  

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    I never had an issue with Rock Auto until semi-recently.

I ordered a set of brake hoses for my Lancer. Both front and rear.

They ended up sending me 2 left front hoses, a right front hose, and one rear hose. Checked the invoice and sure enough I ordered it correctly.

On top of that, only ONE of the three front hoses has the banjo fitting copper washers included. It was the most bizarre end result.

But because I ordered the parts many months ago and trusted the package to have the correct items, I was up the creek without a paddle. Their automated system just simply didn't allow for any resolution because I was outside of the 30-day return window.

Now I'm still going to be a user of RA, at least for now, but since that experience I'm being a lot more careful going forward.
    Even if its something I had no intention of using immediately, every single part from anyone/anywhere always gets opened/checked/inspected before going on the shelf. Especially so if it is something that does not come in a sealed tamper evident package.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Even if its something I had no intention of using immediately, every single part from anyone/anywhere always gets opened/checked/inspected before going on the shelf. Especially so if it is something that does not come in a sealed tamper evident package.
    Obviously that was my mistake lol. But after years of flawless service from rock auto I became complacent. One of those things where I had the intention of using the parts much sooner but the project kinda got buried in other responsibilities.