Hi guys,

Really needing the knowledge of the community for this one here.

I just finished assembling my rebuild and took the Lancer out for a test drive. It runs great, but I discovered a problem.

Here's a link to a google album with picture/videos of the issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/r5D7oL4LD3oTSrgM9

I have coolant leaking out of the exhaust stud just under the intake bolt shown in the image.

Now when I had the head done, I replaced the factory studs with a brand new set from FWDP. I do remember that a couple of the studs (including this one) were pretty stuck, but I was able to back them out without any signs of damage to the threads.

All the studs were installed according to the factory service manual, finger tight with high-temp thread sealant, then the nuts were torqued to spec.

This leak was very minor to start, but was causing plumes of vapor to rise when it would hit the exhaust manifold.

When I found the issue, I thought to check to make sure it hadn't loosened up somehow. I got a socket on there and gave it just a tiny tweak, maybe turned a 1/16 rotation, if that. It was still snug, but as soon at it moved the leak became worse and started dripping down (before I could be under the thing and wouldn't get dripped on at all, barely anything leaked without the engine running).

I'm not sure what to do at this point...I fear that I'll have to pull the head, but I literally just got this thing back together and really don't want to have to go through all that if I don't have to. Am I missing something here? Why would the coolant be leaking past the stud if it was installed with high-temp thread sealant and installed according to the service manual?

Is there anything I can do in this case? I'm not sure how I would back the stud out with the head on the engine, I can't even see it from under the car and had to go by feel just to get a ratchet on it.

SECOND QUESTION

So far I've put 20 miles on the thing, driving WOT through the RPM range at about 4psi (manifold source directly routed to wastegate) and letting the engine compression decel me back to seat the rings. The car ran great, and was eager to go - man, I was smiling ear to ear to be back behind the wheel of my baby.

However, I went to change the oil and was shocked to see it a muddy brown color! (video of oil draining in the google album) This oil only had 20 miles on it. But here's my suspicion.

The oil still felt/smelled like oil. No gas smell that I could tell, I didn't see any separation in it like it was getting mixed with coolant. I installed ARP head studs for this build and the studs/nuts still had a good amount of their special black lubricant on them. I'm thinking (and praying) that the coloration is only due to the hot oil dissolving the black lubricant into the oil. I'm hoping somebody can confirm this, but I suppose it's cheap insurance to just change the oil after another 20 miles and see what it looks like.

First, I gotta fix this coolant leak cause that just won't stand.