Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '87 GLHS 362 Project

Hybrid View

'87 GLHS 362 Project

Hi all. Over the last year or so I've been working on resurrecting '87 GLHS 362, a car I bought a few years ago but had largely let it sit. The story behind this car is that a friend of mine had bought it sometime in the early to mid 90's after it had been hit in the front. He had it repaired and gave it fresh paint. Based on the mileage on the title, he put about 6k miles on it, I know it had made a trip to a couple of the very early SDAC conventions and local club events. In the late 90's, the car was disassembled to turn it more into a road race car. It got a fuel cell, the strut towers were cut for plates, all suspension was removed, got a brand new S60 harness, interior removed, etc. From that point, the project stalled and the car has sat covered in a local garage since then.

I've known of this car since around 2006 and always kept half an eye on it. A few years ago, the guy who owned it approached me to see if I'd be willing to buy it, and all of the parts that he had collected from way back when. After some back and forth, I ended up buying the car. It sat for a couple more years as I worked on other projects, but I eventually got the urge to put it back together. My intent was the build the car using many of the parts I have in my stash, along with parts collected that came with the car when I bought it. I have about a year worth of catching up to do in the log, so over the next few days I'll get progress that was made and pictures posted.

To start, here is where it sat as a shell for all those years and what it looked like when I dragged it home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glhs1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	65640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLHS 2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	65641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLHS3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	65642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLHS 5.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	65643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLHS6.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	65644  

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: '87 GLHS 362 Project

cool.

does that trailer have some crazy lowering mechanism or is it just the picture?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Trailer deck lowers...it's awesome. Wish it was actually mine! (I borrowed it)

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Trailer deck lowers...it's awesome. Wish it was actually mine! (I borrowed it)
    sweet!

k frame rocks too.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

In case you're stuck in a snow bank??????????
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    No trailer for Sick Week? How can you run balls-out without a hitch?
    Ha! All balls will be in the car...no trailer this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    In case you're stuck in a snow bank??????????
    These days, that's just as likely!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Very cool. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

The first thing I went after was a project I've wanted to try, narrowing a dual pivot K frame to fit it. I talked to a few people who had done this in the past to get an idea of how much I had to trim out and then went after it.

I started by pulling the L body K frame and making a ridiculously simple jig to get the spacing right, using the mounting holes. From there, took the '90 stamped arm K sectioned out what was about 1.5" from the center, bolting it into the jig, find fitting and checking it multiple times to make sure it was square, tacked it, rechecked it, fit to car multiple times, etc. Eventually welded it up. I did at a brace bar on the underside just for some added insurance. Also had to make a very minor adjustment to the passenger side forward mount on the K frame to get it squared better. I'm not sure if this is something that is required for this modification, if the car isn't perfectly squared after the accident it took in the front or if I was just correcting/adjusting what was more normal manufacturing tolerances. Either way, it was a minor adjustment so I wasn't too worried about it.

The one thing I didn't have done in these pictures is the relocation of the bobble strut bracket. That had to be moved to the left side of the car by a bit.

Name:	k1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	65645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	65646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	65647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k4.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	65648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	65649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k6.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	65650  

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The first thing I went after was a project I've wanted to try, narrowing a dual pivot K frame to fit it. I talked to a few people who had done this in the past to get an idea of how much I had to trim out and then went after it.

I started by pulling the L body K frame and making a ridiculously simple jig to get the spacing right, using the mounting holes. From there, took the '90 stamped arm K sectioned out what was about 1.5" from the center, bolting it into the jig, find fitting and checking it multiple times to make sure it was square, tacked it, rechecked it, fit to car multiple times, etc. Eventually welded it up. I did at a brace bar on the underside just for some added insurance. Also had to make a very minor adjustment to the passenger side forward mount on the K frame to get it squared better. I'm not sure if this is something that is required for this modification, if the car isn't perfectly squared after the accident it took in the front or if I was just correcting/adjusting what was more normal manufacturing tolerances. Either way, it was a minor adjustment so I wasn't too worried about it.

The one thing I didn't have done in these pictures is the relocation of the bobble strut bracket. That had to be moved to the left side of the car by a bit.
    Looks good, this is consistent with our past project for creating the dual pivot frames.

The front passenger mount is different between the GKJHPA cars and the Lbody and does need the modification for an lbody. That is normal and not a problem with the car.

-Rich

Next thing I went after were brakes/brake lines. Prior owner started to run brake lines to run a front circuit and a rear circuit with an adjustable prop valve in the interior. I decided to finish what he started, but move the adjustable prop valve to the engine bay. Made a quick mount for the prop valve off of the trans mount in front of the MC and ran the lines. Converted the rear to 1g Neon disk brakes, had to make a coupler for the ebrake cable since I couldn't find the original in the pile of parts that came with the car. Some of the pics are from when I did this last year, some I just took.

You can also see where the prior owner had mounted the fuel cell, which I removed and put a stock gas tank back in. He did a very clean job removing the spare tire well, which he saved. My plan is to reinstall the spare tire well at some point...just haven't gotten to it.

Name:	brake3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	65651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	65652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	65653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	65654  

Then came the massive clean out...most of the interior was disassembled already anyway and scattered between my place, the prior owners house and the garage where the car was stored all of those years. The interior had evidence (and smell) of mice at some point, so I tore everything out of it and washed/disinfected everything. The heat/sound deadening was gross, that that got tossed. Installed new heat/sound deadener on the firewall, cleaned/rebuilt the heater box and got the dash all put back together. Also couldn't resist giving it a good washing to see what it was all starting to look like. You can see some of the appeal this car had to me...the floor looks brand new inside and out, the car is very straight and other than a few minor flaws, the paint is in great shape. Bogarts also got a test fit. :-)

Name:	interior 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	65655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior2.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	65656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior 4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	65657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean1.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	65658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	65659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bogarts.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	65660  

Nice clean car Pat, and nice work! Keep the project photos coming; We love project photos!
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Last update for today...rest of the suspension. The car had just welded rods holding it up, so I was somewhat starting from scratch. It had been set up in the rear with machined aluminum bushings, with a c channel mount for rear coilovers. It also had a the same rear axle set up bolted in as the Hooters Omni did when Barry was autocrossing it regularly. It needed some finishing work, which I decided to pass on for the time being. I put the original stock rear axle back into it and found the original rear Koni's and stock springs. Upon checking them, the appeared to still be functional so I just threw them in. At a minimum, my intent for the rear is to go non stock style coilover at some point and either go with an aftermarket bar or go to the modified axle. For now, stock rear is going to be fine. For the front, the strut towers had been cut out and machined caster plates were installed. There isn't any camber adjustment in the plate, but the top of the strut is definitely mounted further in than stock giving me plenty of camber capability. I ended up disassembling everything, cleaning it up, painting them and gave them some new pillowball bearings. For the struts, I took the stock Koni housings, removed the innards and installed Koni race insert. The strut top was then fitted the inserts to the caster plate mounts. Installed coilover sleeves and used a pair of 250 lb springs I had sitting here. The thinking there was that the 250's will be fine with the stock rear springs that are in it at the moment. In time, beefier springs will end up in both the front and the rear.

Name:	coilover.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	65661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	susp1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	65662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	susp2.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	65663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	susp3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	65664  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That looks like a significant improvement in geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That looks like a significant improvement in geometry.
    There is definitely more camber and caster capability.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Looking good and subscribed !!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

As I'm looking at some of these pictures, I'm realizing that some of the order I'm posting wasn't exactly the order that I did some of the work so if you notice some things out of sequence, bear with me.

The drivetrain is nothing fancy. I wanted to use primarily stuff I had around here or that came with the car. I did end up getting the original motor, but that had been sitting for 20 years and with other projects I had going on, did not want to take the time to open it up. I ended up pulling a 2.2 bottom end that I had previously run in some of my GRM efforts in years past. The motor had run great, I know it was stored properly for the 4-5 years it had been sitting. Dug that out, cleaned it up, gave it a fresh headgasket and swapped it over to a 2 pc intake. I didn't have a good 2 pc rail, so I grabbed a rail from TU, it got brand new +40's that came with the car, a 3 bar map and an old Gary D. cal that I had borrowed from Dave Skrab years ago and he thankfully still hasn't asked for it back yet. The turbo I used was an unused one that Barry Miles had picked up from Dave Zelkowski at some point. He thought it wasn't completely stock, but looking it over, it appears to be a stock T2 to me. I didn't pull the housings, so I suppose I'm not completely sure.

The trans I put in is a 568 that came with the car. It was a fresh new/rebuilt trans with an interesting LSD differential. It's a clutch style diff that the prior owner had bought from Zelkowski. What I was told was that it was a Wissman built clutch style LSD diff that used Dana 30 clutches/pieces. I did not pull it apart to look at it. Jammed it all on the motor with a stock clutch, and dropped it into the engine bay.

Name:	engine1.jpg 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	65666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	65667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	65668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	65669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine6.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	65670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	65671  

boostaholic

Bring the project log back. Love it! Nice work as always Pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Nice progress !!

I sure would have liked to have seen that LSD unit.

A few years back I built a 555 LSD retaining the 4 pinions.

There's not much extra room in a stock 555-568 diff. carrier!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Bring the project log back. Love it! Nice work as always Pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn right...need to get the action on the board up more. I fell away from it for a while, but I miss hanging out here.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Nice progress !!

I sure would have liked to have seen that LSD unit.

A few years back I built a 555 LSD retaining the 4 pinions.

There's not much extra room in a stock 555-568 diff. carrier!

Thanks
    Randy
    I'll save for later posts, but I did just pull that trans back out last week. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast