Thread: Turbo ideas for a 2.5L (turbo heresy?)

Mitsu booster

Turbo ideas for a 2.5L (turbo heresy?)

I'm in possession of both a TE04H and a T1 Garrett. I'm looking to rebuild and upgrade one, for street use only and have all the supporting mods for 300 whp. I want quick spool and a fat usable rpm range.

So my dumb question is, can a GT 2871R compressor wheel and housing be mated to the old school Garret CHRA? I've "heard" of people doing this but can't find any material on it. I may have also completely misinterpreted the statement. Alternatively I was thinking the s-60 route if the Garret was my choice.

Now possibly a dumber question/idea is regarding the mitsu. Most people just use them as door stops, but I was considering building one. The dodge stealth guys are making great power with a TD04HL-19t and describe the turbo as living in boost. Lag is a legend they joke about. A -19t compressor housing and billet wheel are bolt on to the old mitsu, and cheaper than a decent Garret housing alone (the mitsu -19t has anti-surge porting too at that price point). The turbine housings are super close, the TE04H (stock mitsu) turbine and the TD04HL turbine (the larger mitsu typically mated to a -19t compressor) only differs at the exducer of about 0.063". It seems pretty simple to machine it out (priced at <$100 locally) and swap on the bigger compressor combo and turbine wheel using the stock turbine housing and the rest. The compressor map for a TD04HL-19T looks damn near identical to a S60 T3 but fatter on the prime efficiency island.

I priced it out and it seems I can do this mitsu experiment for about half as much as a conversion to a T1 Garrett or similar with similar performance, but it feels against the grain. (Did I mention I'm plumbed up and using the stock mitsu right now?) I should also mention parts for the TD04/TE04 seem WAY more plentiful and even quite a few options for turbine housings if I wanted a different waste gate or down pipe setup. (Saab and Volvo internal WG in particular)

I also did a spread sheet comparing multiple turbos and using identical parameters (like a static assumed VE and same PR at a few data points) and the TE04HL-19t franken-turbo theoretically performed better than the S60 and TO4E "S" trim (obviously using the TD04HL-19T compressor map). I will admit there will undoubtedly be error in my spread sheet, but I think the error is uniform across them all. Comparing them to each other seems right to me....

Any thoughts? Is this turbo heresy?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mitsu booster

Re: Turbo ideas for a 2.5L (turbo heresy?)

Pretty whack, I get it. Probably going to build the Garrett anyways.

turbo addict

Don't forget Dodge Stealth uses a twin turbo setup.

I sold a few modified TD04HL-15G modified to TD04HL19T to Volvo guys, they seems to love it.

The limitation will be your stock 2.5L cylinder head.

Mitsu booster

Agreed on the twins, but I still think it's a viable option. I also agree the head is a constraint. I just feel that the mitsu turbo is a little over looked. I'm actually thinking about trying to build both and Dyno my car on both for comparison....