Thread: Best axles?

Hybrid booster

Best axles?

Hey guys,

I was cleaning up my axles in preparation to install them and center my engine. However, I noticed that the inner boots are cracked and leaking, and the outers don't look that far off. These things are probably 12-15 years old at this point, so I'm looking to just replace them.

What's a quality option available? I don't want to end up with some crap axle that'll give me problems down the road. Any recommendations? Thanks!

-Zach

Re: Best axles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    Hey guys,

I was cleaning up my axles in preparation to install them and center my engine. However, I noticed that the inner boots are cracked and leaking, and the outers don't look that far off. These things are probably 12-15 years old at this point, so I'm looking to just replace them.

What's a quality option available? I don't want to end up with some crap axle that'll give me problems down the road. Any recommendations? Thanks!

-Zach
    Depending on body style; for most any car other than L body, the strongest axles were the saginaw units that came in the 3.3L Dodge Dynasty. They are hard to find in the wrecking yards anymore.
    These axles were also used in the 1988-early 90's New Yorkers with the 3.0L.
    I dare say (only my opinion) they are as good as any Drive Shaft Shop stuff.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Hybrid booster

I'm way out here on the west coast, and for some reason all the junkyards remotely near me don't have any of these 80's-90's Mopar's. We used to have some options, but it seems they've all been sent to the crusher at this point.

As lame as it sounds, I was hoping to pick up some axles from a parts source so I can get this project back on track. It only takes maybe 20 minutes a side to swap an axle, so a more quality solution can be installed later. I just wanted to steer clear from known high failure rates.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

ive picked up some reman chrysler axles either on ebay or rockauto. cardone remanufactured ones. they are definitely remanned oem ones and not new chinese stuff.

there is no guarantee that you won't get an axle that will prevent any and all issue, but a remanned chrysler will be less problematic than a new chinese.

I speak from experience with chinese subaru axles vs remmned cardone ones. the chinese ones shook the car like crazy under acceleration. the cardone didnt.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The quality and longevity of any reman axle will be heavily dependent on the condition of the core to begin with. The CV housing being the contact surface for the balls and rollers. High mileage axles are going to be loose and sloppy. Putting new guts into a worn housing or regrinding and putting O/S guts into housings that have been ground and cut into the surface hardness layer is always a gamble.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

I was looking over the axle offerings from RockAuto. None of them had a core charge so I assumed they were all new units. They showed Cardone, Trakmotive and APWI. The same axles list as their applications almost all '87-'94 FWD cars except for L bodies. Do you guys think they're new Asian units or rebuilt Mopar parts?

Under the axle listing if you look under the 'economy' offerings there are Cardone reman axles showing. Those are reworked original axles.

Hybrid booster

I ended up installing Duralast axles just to get the project moving along. They have a pretty hassle-free lifetime warranty, so if I get unlucky I can probably just return for refund and try the Cardone remans. Hopefully there's no fuss though 🤞

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

If you end up needing a stronger set, check out www.reevesracinggarage.com

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    If you end up needing a stronger set, check out www.reevesracinggarage.com
    Where have you been ?

Are those finished with neoprene or thermoplastic type CV boots ?