Thread: LED Headlights using 3D Printed brackets

Garrett booster

LED Headlights using 3D Printed brackets

Hey all, I wanted to show off my new 3D printed design to adapt some of these Chinese made LED lights into my 1989 Daytona, it may work on other Mopars that use the same alignment bucket design as well.

It's a 10mm thick piece of plastic than can be printed on any Ender 3 sized printer within a few hours.

Here is a video demonstrating the lights and how to install them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8wDazQ7U4

Here is the download link with information on how to print it:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5100864

Here is the Tinkercad link if you would like to modify the design:
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/7EWmHiEuzmz

This is licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license, which means you can modify, remix, and even sell this as long as you credit me as the original author, more information here:
    https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Let me know if you have any thoughts or concerns, I appreciate every comment positive or negative alike.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: LED Headlights using 3D Printed brackets

cool.

why is the plastic needed though? my LED lights on my reliant went right into those brackets without any mods..... well other than to fix the broken plastic adjuster bits.....

I should design and print some of those...

I take it the daytona design is different?

i have these lights... they work pretty well. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

I don't know if this is the case with other Mopars, but this particular light had a heatsink on it bigger than the factory headlight bucket itself. So no amount of modding the original bucket was going to make it work. If you put the bucket side by side with the new light, the new light is a tiny bit bigger overall.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

makes sense.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

i have these lights... they work pretty well. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brian
    I got those for my Omni, they fit great!

Dude is this the bezel that goes around the headlights for the L bodies too? Oh my gosh, this is awesome, regardless!!!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Dude is this the bezel that goes around the headlights for the L bodies too? Oh my gosh, this is awesome, regardless!!!
    It might be haha, I have no idea. You can probably take the design and print it out on a piece of paper and see. Thanks!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

The daytona lights are smaller. L body is a 6054 bulb and the Daytona is like a 6545
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    The daytona lights are smaller. L body is a 6054 bulb and the Daytona is like a 6545
    That makes sense when you say it. The design is definitely the same, just smaller. I cringe every time I have had to remove them in the past and am just waiting for them to break.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

pop up's were the same size as the 4 lamp system bulbs

the o-e dodge ones were plastic .. possibly the first use of plastic headlights .. at least the first I saw

the plastic ones are light weight and fit in the fog lamp openings of an 89-91 Daytona.. if you can aim them properly and epoxy them in place you get a high / low fog light..

Garrett booster

Man I wish I had time to learn and do 3D printing like this. I would love to make a set for my Grand Caravan so I could run H6054 based headlights, and not have to find a whole cargo van front end.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by INVUJerry View Post
    Man I wish I had time to learn and do 3D printing like this. I would love to make a set for my Grand Caravan so I could run H6054 based headlights, and not have to find a whole cargo van front end.
    You know, I've had this 3D printer for about 2 years and all I've done with it really is make novelty tools and toys with it. This was just an opportunity that I had to see what I can actually do with it. I'm a learn it by needing it kind of guy, teach yourself how to cook if you're hungry kind of thing.

Every once in a while there's smoking deals at Microcenter where you can pick up the exact model printer I have for I think $100 to $150... And their filament is definitely usable. Especially if you use their online coupon codes which allows you to get 1kg of the stuff for $7 a roll.