Thread: Using a V6 SMEC in a turbo application

Hybrid booster

Using a V6 SMEC in a turbo application

Hey everyone, I see the question has been asked about using a V6 SMEC (with 3 injector drivers) in place of a regular turbo SMEC - with a new cal of course. What I can't seem to find is what (if anything) needs to be done in order to just ignore the third injector driver? Basically what I'm thinking is to obtain a V6 SMEC which seem to be more plentiful, socket it and use it while not molesting my current SMEC so I can have something to fall back on if things go awry.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Using a V6 SMEC in a turbo application

I am working on reverse engineering of SBEC and the drivers are very different for EFI vs Turbo. The turbo are Low Z as we know. If the 88/89 V6 injectors are Low Z than you maybe OK.
    You will also need to check to be sure all the correct components are on the SMEC logic board. I am uncertain about the V6 SMEC (as I only have turbo SMEC) but my V6 SBEC is missing components. If you want to check components on the PM and logic board, Let me know via IM as I have high res pictures of a turbo logic board.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

This is in the super early stages of a thought experiment, I don't have a V6 unit on hand. Rob/Shel-game had posted on here that the two SMECs are very similar but didn't go into much more detail beyond the obvious third injector driver and one extra interconnect between the boards. He suggested maybe the third driver could be used for alky. In my case that's not what I'm chasing, more just availability of cores.

Hybrid booster

Lifted from a De Lorean site, of all things, that the 3.0 injectors are in fact low impedance like I suspected.

The injectors I used are low impedance Bosch part number 280-150-812,
    which also cross reference according to Borg Warner to 280-150-828
    and 280-150-829. Borg Warner part number 57172. Chrysler part number
    4467050, INP-012, J0260675, MD116218, MD132249, MD141131, MD156661,
    and MD157740. They can be found in the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth
    Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 from a Dynasty 88-92, Caravan 89-91, Lebaron etc.
    They are also listed as the same injectors that were used in the
    Eagle Premier 3.0 Z7X-715 PRV V6 91-92. I choose the Bosch which are
    characterized by a concave aluminum injector tip. The junk yards are
    full of them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I have a 3.0l V6 SBEC from a 1990 or 1991 Caravan if anyone needs it.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    I am working on reverse engineering of SBEC and the drivers are very different for EFI vs Turbo. The turbo are Low Z as we know. If the 88/89 V6 injectors are Low Z than you maybe OK.
    You will also need to check to be sure all the correct components are on the SMEC logic board. I am uncertain about the V6 SMEC (as I only have turbo SMEC) but my V6 SBEC is missing components. If you want to check components on the PM and logic board, Let me know via IM as I have high res pictures of a turbo logic board.
    if the turbo code works on the high z drivers, just switch to high impedance injectors. these are a good budget high impedance injector https://www.snakeeaterperformance.co...fuel-injectors

they have some 60lb units with EV1 connectors and full length that are a good replacement for +40's. they are out of stock right now though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    if the turbo code works on the high z drivers, just switch to high impedance injectors. these are a good budget high impedance injector https://www.snakeeaterperformance.co...fuel-injectors

they have some 60lb units with EV1 connectors and full length that are a good replacement for +40's. they are out of stock right now though.

Brian
    Brian, my concern is not only the driver but other circuits that MAY be missing on the non turbo SMEC. I don't have a non turbo SMEC so I am unsure.
    On the other hand, I do have EFI, V6 and turbo SBEC which I have checked in the past. Neither the EFI nor 3.0 V6 will work unmodified due to missing components on the logic board. Perhaps this winter I can modify my SBEC to become functional.
    WRT, the V6 SMEC pictures will help tell if these are an easy or difficult path
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

im wasnt sure if the code was working yet or not.... or what components need adding or subtracting etc. and i was only referring to the V6 SBEC. the TBI doesnt have enough stuff, i know that.

i just meant, when the time comes, high Z injectors are pretty much the standard nowadays for high flow injectors and that swapping over to the low z drivers shouldnt be needed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.