Thread: test

Garrett booster

AWD '87 GLHS: Project No Name Yet

Finally starting a thread for my AWD '87 GLHS project, a very slow process. Will try to keep everything organized and making as much sense as possible. I'm also wanting to make a video series but that's an entirely separate problem in itself that I will need assistance with for certain things.

To start this I'll just list some of the goals for the project which this will be cleaned up and maybe repositioned in the post later on.

1987 Shelby GLHS #953 which replaced #828 due to rust.

Hopes for 500whp 8v (I haven't done much research just yet to know exactly what I'll need to make this happen outside of speaking the a few of the vendors, of which I have possibly backed myself into a corner because I put off building the engine for WAYYYYY too long.)

AWD conversion utilizing the same components that Carlos Lotsaboost used.
    A568 transmission modified and re-geared to closely match the rear differential 3.45-3.50 I think (Going off memory at the moment) (This transmission also isn't 100% necessary but its just what I'm going with)
    1991-maybe 2004 Caravan/T&C/Voyager PTU (Unsure if there were actually any AWD Voyagers) (to my knowledge the '91 unit is the only one that used a cable driven speedo which I also have not opened up the ptu yet to see if its still cut to drive the speedo gear as the '92+ ones have the boss but arent machined to take the actual cable drive piece)
    2001-2004 Caravan/T&C rear diff (I've relatively recently found out that the innards of the 2001-2004 units will fit into the AWD Journeys rear unit allowing you to use the rear subframe from those vehicles if you wanna do that)
    (Using all the parts from one year vehicle would make the swap somewhat easier but its just not what I wanted to do, I'm also going to note that some of these parts didn't change all that much up through the early 2000's maybe even running up through 2010 or so as the parts overstock sites list certain pieces fitting a ton of vehicles. I may post pictures to show some of the differences but I'm not 100% set on that at this time.)

Custom multilink independent rear suspension

SLH3(+) brake upgrade (at the moment I'm wanting everything relatively just bolt on to keep the car using all Chrysler parts spare the coilovers I want if I can ever get my hands on them
    (+) being front calipers in the rear and MAYBE a dual caliper setup to get integrated parking brake eliminating the brake shoes with maybe a hydro brake? I don't know yet.

Likely front knuckles and struts for the rear suspension to utilize the front driven hubs (wanting Koni coilovers but they dont make them for our vehicles direct from Koni so I would need to rebuild the factory ones and convert then with the sleeves, and the ones I was going to use for the Volkswagen Corrado were the closest thing I could find that would bolt on with minimal modifications needed are also no longer being produced let alone even something I think I can get my hands on.

Possible Fiberglass/Carbon bits (Hood, doors, etc.) Some of which I'll need to make myself as I'm not aware of anyone that makes the turbo hood or Shelby front bits

Possible 3 piece converted Centurion II's (I have 2 or 3 full 5 piece sets sitting here just for this idea)

Possible widebody if necessary due to the 3 piece wheels (Likely similar in appearance to the Conquests/Starion factory widebody)

Uncertain on color choice (considering white primary, blue secondary's, with possible gold accents or Black out, or just the original color scheme. I have a mostly finished render of what the white and blue scheme could look like.)

Fiberglass/Carbon seats matching the chosen color scheme which will also maintain the original fabric pattern and embroidery

Maybe roll cage

Hopes for round tube front crossmember and control arms though to make the build happen sooner I may just have to modify the dual pivot member to work until I can get one if ever.

Considering using a newer Dodge Dart gas tank over a fuel cell as it has the same relative filler neck location and a hump to clear the driveshaft and exhaust making it a nice choice in my opinion

Not sure if there is anything I'm forgetting or anything that will be added in the future to this list but we'll see when we get there. This has been a very slow process and at this time will continue to be so mainly due to lack of finances. I have pretty much everything I need to assembly the car to be a relatively running stock vehicle, but there are things that need to be done before I can start that process. I dont know if building a full front to rear frame will be needed or not to strengthen the unibody as Carlos never got passed his Dedion rear design or to a point where his Omni was pushing high hp or torque unfortunately. It's something I may need to consider in the future among other chassis reinforcement.
    Last edited by EZEILL; 10-16-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: test

Can't wait to see some pictures or videos! Keep us updated.