Thread: Trip odometer

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Trip odometer

I am totally not electronic savvy at all. The trip odometer in the Shadow is failing, being integrated into the speedometer and odometer of course just makes it that much more of a PITA to do anything. It is not a matter of those little plastic gears failing inside the cluster. The odometer still works fine, for now.. A full blown Dakota Digital cluster is where I want to go eventually but for now just something to make things work is all I would like.

I like simple and spartan. Something like a Hobbs meter Electrically Actuated Counter, Panel-Mount with Spade Terminals, 1.1" x 2.1" x 1.2" Overall | McMaster-Carr that can count off the miles if the correct signal can be provided.

There are plenty of options out there using a GPS based approach. I would rather not go that direction. On the flip side I would not like to turn this into a science project either. Circuit boards and the like are not my thing.

Ideas ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Trip odometer

I can think of lots of electronic based solutions.. why not find another P body cluster for now until you find the Digital dash you want?
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Trip odometer

The cluster is only part of the problem. My speedometer/odometer/trip meter gauge is just getting to be worn out with 400,000 miles of usage spinning on it. I use the trip odometer to track mileage/fuel fill planning as the gas gauge does not work.

The cluster installed now is the fourth unit and it is just like the three before it, worn out from high mileage and decades of poor connectivity have scorched the terminals and circuit traces on the backside before it comes into my possession.

I do have an inquiry open with Dakota Digital to get a dimension'ed engineering drawing. Their VFD3-1010 looks like really close fit for the P body dashboard.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?