Thread: Wiring harness compatibility quesions

Hybrid booster

Wiring harness compatibility quesions

Hi I got 2 questions:

1. 1992 Daytona Iroc R/T has no underhood wiring. Can I use the underhood wiring from a 92 Daytona 2.5 NA and temp install a 2.5L NA engine and have it run without burning anything out?

2. 1988 Lancer 2.5L NA - want to use an 89 Turbo Daytona wiring harness in it - straight plug in for both - underhood wiring only.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Wiring harness compatibility quesions

1. should be fine. compare the connection points and wire colors for both harnesses before installation.

2. not sure. are the connections under the dash with a big rubber grommet on the firewall? if so compare the connection points and wire colors for both harnesses before installation but i think it will work.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyZD View Post
    Hi I got 2 questions:

1. 1992 Daytona Iroc R/T has no underhood wiring. Can I use the underhood wiring from a 92 Daytona 2.5 NA and temp install a 2.5L NA engine and have it run without burning anything out?

2. 1988 Lancer 2.5L NA - want to use an 89 Turbo Daytona wiring harness in it - straight plug in for both - underhood wiring only.

1) probably....

2) IIRC the Lancer had a different wiring harness than most other cars. It had a bulkhead connection wiring harness like an lbody or Caravan and the daytona goes through the bulkhead on a grommet and then connects under the dash.

So they won't work directly. The wire colors and positions probably match but I don't think that the connectors were quite the same or at minimum the length will be quite different.

Hybrid booster

ok good to know. Thanks! Got some info from NAJ too.

turbo addict

88 K cars also still had the 50 way bulkhead connector in the firewall and a smec engine controller

cars with the big round grommet have the same 50 way bulkhead connector moved under the dash but it's reversed so what used to be the inside connector is now outside and vis versa..

also in these cars the brake light switch wiring runs through the bulkhead connector.. soo the plug for the brake light switch is actually on the engine compartment side of the bulkhead connector , though it's still under the dash
    I believe the bracket and switch might be unique to the round grommet cars too..I remember having to go back to the wreckers for the brake light switch when I put an 89 lebaron harness in an 86 daytona
    also for anyone converting.. the round hole needs to be the same diameter as the square bulkhead connector hole when measured diagonally across the opening.. so you only need remove 4 crescent shaped pieces from the firewall..one on each side of the square hole , thus making it round