Thread: Engine rebuild tool recommendations

Engine rebuild tool recommendations

Looking for recommendations on the various tools you would need to rebuild a block. Thinking of the cylinder bore gauge, honing tool, piston ring pliers, etc. I don't mind buying inexpensive tools, but obviously want something that will hold up over time. Probably want something analog so I don't have to fool with batteries and what not, but not against it.

What is everyone using in their garage?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Engine rebuild tool recommendations

I buy ball hones. I picked up a decent bore gauge years ago, and it has served me well. Some cheap piston ring pliers get the job done. That’s about it for me.

Thanks Brian, I can wasn't sure.if I needed to get anything brand specific or if the generic tool brands would do.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I hate to say it, but I use a lot of China made tools in my machining classes and they do pretty well.