Thread: 95 neon no crank no prime

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

95 neon no crank no prime

The title pretty well says it all. I have a 95 neon which I desperately need to get running. It has no crank, but I hear tarter relay also has no fuel pump prime. I don’t know what would cause this problem on a neon. Unfortunately the search results are less than stellar, and my home pc has crapped out on me too. This has been a heck of a week.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: 95 neon no crank no prime

95 was ran with the FCC.... which is close to a SBEC and has a 60way that could have a loose pin or 2.... and it also has an ASD relay somewhere.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

This is a 95 model year car, so I think it is the same connectors as the other emus. It certainly looks like it. I’m thinking there is a meaty section of harness, because of the no crank and no fuel pump prime situation. The blower motor and everything in the car work Starter relay clicks, so I’m thinking ign switch is good. I’ll find out a few more in a bit… thanks for the suggestions.

Garrett booster

I know I'm a few weeks late, but if you jump the relays does the car crank and does the fuel pump prime?

You hear the starter relay click, but the engine does not crank? Or does it crank but not start? Assuming no crank, I would check the wire integrity to the starter. (ie. you should be able to jumper the starter relay and get the engine to crank. If it doesn't crank, check for voltage at the starter (try and check voltage on both sides of the junction.) With the relay jumpered, you should have 12v on both terminals. If 0 volts on the small terminal, bad wire from the starter relay. If 0v on big connection bad wire from the battery. If 12v on both, bad starter, try tapping on it lightly to see if it will crank...

During ignition on and crank does the check engine light come on? If it doesn't likely the PCM is not waking up. Next step for me would be to check powers and grounds at the PCM. Use a test light with an incandescent bulb to simulate a load...

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i vaguely remember some neons having issues where the harness wrapped around the cylinder head/valve cover and chafing etc.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    You hear the starter relay click, but the engine does not crank? Or does it crank but not start? Assuming no crank, I would check the wire integrity to the starter. (ie. you should be able to jumper the starter relay and get the engine to crank. If it doesn't crank, check for voltage at the starter (try and check voltage on both sides of the junction.) With the relay jumpered, you should have 12v on both terminals. If 0 volts on the small terminal, bad wire from the starter relay. If 0v on big connection bad wire from the battery. If 12v on both, bad starter, try tapping on it lightly to see if it will crank...

During ignition on and crank does the check engine light come on? If it doesn't likely the PCM is not waking up. Next step for me would be to check powers and grounds at the PCM. Use a test light with an incandescent bulb to simulate a load...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i vaguely remember some neons having issues where the harness wrapped around the cylinder head/valve cover and chafing etc.

Brian
    thanks guys. It does appear as though the starter was the sole culprit. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I have had problems with the wiring around the head in the past, and I’m really glad that it wasn’t that. This time…