Thread: Clutch Recommendations

Hybrid booster

Clutch Recommendations

Hey everyone, let me get this out of the way first:
    "Call Chris at TU"
    Okay. I know.

The problem is I don't have the cash for one of their kits. My wife is going to give me enough grief already over the cost of a stock replacement clutch but I'm pretty sure I need something better than that. I have a more or less stock spec 89 2.5 plus a TII Garrett and a TII intercooler, stock injectors and electronics, G-valve set to about 10 right now (because of current clutch holding capacity). A520. Heavy car (convertible). Car has never been dynoed, doesn't go to the track. I had plans to do some drag racing way back when I built it, but it never has gone and most likely never will now as there's nowhere to go around here. I'll probably still give some spirited launches and burn tires to put people in their respective places from time to time. It's a summer cruiser at this point. Mostly highway with some city driving.

After all that, am I still looking at a Stage 3 6-puck from Chris?

turbo addict

Re: Clutch Recommendations

What is your current clutch and how it is holding?

Hybrid booster

I believe it's just a stock replacement clutch. Organic disc and a Sachs PP. It works fine for regular driving and even having a little fun so long as I'm keeping the boost dialed down. Above 12 pounds or so it starts to slip.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

should be a 90 small spline clutch.

here is the 91+ large spline version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40233932247...Cclp%3A2334524

doubt they hold 400+ftlbs but its gotta hold more than a stocker.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

I saw those and was a little skeptical. Are you recommending 4-puck rather than 6 in my case?

turbo addict

so a V6 and a 2.5 use the same flywheel ?

never played with the V6 but that somehow don't sound right considering mopar didn't even build the V6 motors

the price , including a flywheel leaves me feeling really doubtful about these as I paid more for a crappy organic clutch disc and P plate back in the mid '90's

- - - Updated - -

turbo addict

I always over clutch the car just because I only want to do it as few times as I actually have to. Though I do like the aluminum flywheel and unsprung disc setup for driving better than stock anyway. But my philosiphy is still put the best thing you can in it so that it holds any upgrades in the future and you don't have to to do the job again.

Quote Originally Posted by HoverFish View Post
    I saw those and was a little skeptical. Are you recommending 4-puck rather than 6 in my case?
    you said heavy car. 4 puck generally holds more than a 6..... they both chatter a bit if you try to slip them alot. i figured go for the 4 puck.

Sean Campbell (1fastcsx289) has one in his daytona right now. he says it chatters a bit and has hit it with 18+psi already. enough to pop the old style felpro gasket that he accidentally installed.... he didnt realize that it was the old style until it was in and then he saw the new style that he had sitting there..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    so a V6 and a 2.5 use the same flywheel ?

never played with the V6 but that somehow don't sound right considering mopar didn't even build the V6 motors

the price , including a flywheel leaves me feeling really doubtful about these as I paid more for a crappy organic clutch disc and P plate back in the mid '90's

- - - Updated - -

yeah they use the same flywheel. I put a 2.5 flywheel on a 3.0 and a spirit R/T pressure plate and an organic disc years ago when i had a white 88 reliant 90 3.0/543 daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I always over clutch the car just because I only want to do it as few times as I actually have to. Though I do like the aluminum flywheel and unsprung disc setup for driving better than stock anyway. But my philosiphy is still put the best thing you can in it so that it holds any upgrades in the future and you don't have to to do the job again.
    most folks have project cars apart more than together. I can do a clutch job in a saturday afternoon. when my current clutch fails eventually, i will probably try one of these. That said, I have Chris's 6 puck in my car and have had it in there since he started making these clutches..... before the pressure plates had a color associated with them. I think its the equivalent of a blue plate 6 puck. when i had a stock garrett and a .63 hot housing on it and it spooled up like lightning, it actually used to slip a touch when i was in the higher gears from a roll from all the torque occasionally.... not a lot but you would hear a chatter/honk for a fraction of a second when it did it. its still surviving just fine. Now that i have a much larger turbo, the power comes in smoother and i dont get that phenomenon. it is what it is....

once my buddy Sean gets his HG replaced im sure one of these cheap clutches will get put through its paces.

he also has one for his schools spirit turbo project. the kids will really put a hurting on it.

overall I think they are probably just stockish pressure plates with a generic aftermarket pucked disc adapted to our input shaft spline. i wouldnt put one behind a really high hp setup. but for a mostly stock 2.2 or 2.5 with like 20psi, it should be fine i would think.

now if we could get dual TBI diaphragms and redo a stock pressure plate with those and one of those pucked discs it would hold alot. wouldnt be as nice to the leg though.

at that point, just call chris. his setup is perfect for high hp cars. but if you dont have the money, you dont have the money and you have to do what you can do.

Brian