Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference between Garrett TI and TII exhaust housing?

Hybrid booster

Re: Difference between Garrett TI and TII exhaust housing?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I've used both stainless and high strength metric bolts. Both with about equal results. There is one swingvalve bolt that penetrates the housing, if any are gonna snap off it always seems to be that one. Stainless obviously doesn't corrode like mild steel, but isn't anywhere near as hard as the other style of bolts. IMO, just make sure you use a good high temp antiseize on the bolts, and don't overtighten. Also run a clean sharp tap through the housing threads. Hopefully that was done on your new housing, but better to check it now, while turbo is on bench.
    Also run a 18 X 1.5 tap through that o2 sensor bung. They always get lots a debris in the threads. Makes for changing o2 sensors a snap down the road.
    Todd
    Yup, Chris's shop went through the exhaust housing and all the threads look prime in there.

I've already successfully removed all of the SV bolts from my original turbo actually, it's just that their threading has degraded enough where I don't feel comfortable reusing them.

I do have some quality nickel antiseize that will definitely be used for this.

About that 02 sensor..I spent a good amount of time trying to wrestle that sensor out. I torched it, been hitting it with the PB Blaster, and have been 'pinging' it with a wrench and hammer. It's not coming out lol

But, I have an AEM wideband that can simulate a narrow band output. If the stock 02 ever quits, I'll just wire the line from the AEM.

Hybrid booster

Hey guys, as an update things are going well for the little time I have available.

I've swapped all my water/oil line fittings to the new CHRA, and attached my SV.

Just had a quick question about the wastegate actuator. It doesn't look like it needs to be stretched much to clip onto the SV arm, and I just wanna make sure it'll have enough clamping force to stay closed under boost.

Stupid me didn't really pay attention to it on the old turbo. Does this look normal to you guys? As I don't know how to place a pic in the body of my post, I'll attach it to the google album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gGdRGz9kbrTastqr9

Hybrid booster

4 L-bodies helped me out with this one. Case closed!

Hybrid booster

Okay guys, need some input.

I mounted the turbo today, but when attempting to install the turbo support bracket, it doesn't appear to line up. I'm not sure what I could have done wrong..there's really no adjustment anywhere.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Only difference between this turbo and my original is this one has a TI exhaust housing..but they look to be of the exact same design. Picture linked below

I must be having a brain fart. Please help lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fs2oDHpAeUwAM7oX9

Garrett booster

Do the drain two oil drain tubes line up together on the back side of the turbo with the engine? When I received my rebuilt turbo back from TU, It was not clocked right. To get to all of the bolts, I had to remove the turbo to clock it properly. I had to loosen the bolts on the exhaust side compressor housing and move the position of the housing to get the turbo to line up with the oil drain tubes.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

There is no real adjustment, I would just bend the bracket slightly
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

I had to clock the compressor housing (cold side) for my TU braided steel lines to not contact the wastegate actuator, but the oil drain tubes match up pretty well. Here's a photo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JFdmJEfEyTDmemXz6

By the way! Has anyone else gotten the silicone oil return tube from TU and notice that is has a larger inside diameter than stock? I don't even want to run it because when I tightened down my clamp I could still easily rotate it around the return pipe for the turbo. Looks like a wasted $7 to me 🙄

turbo addict

Yeah TU has been selling the wrong sized 3/4" hose for years. 5/8" hose fits nice and snug. 11/16" appears to be actual size, but that is hard to find in a silicone hose. As you found, 3/4" is too loose.
    Yes like Miles said, just bend that bracket on the upper end a bit and it will fit fine. They made a couple different brackets over the years. Some brackets you need to run about a 1/8" spacer, as some of the original starters used a brace under that bracket.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Thanks Miles and Todd. I was hesitant to try bending it last night as I didn't know if that piece was made of harder brittle steel or not. Didn't want to snap it and be up the creek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12