Thread: 3D printed PM connectors?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

3D printed PM connectors?

Is there any reason why we can't 3D print some blocks for a common Molex or similar terminal? That would allow us to keep the LM/PM setup, or for that matter the SMEC power board and not worry about upgrading to a stand alone etc. The Joytona has some pretty rough looking wiring at the PM and I'm thinking this could be a fairly simple fix. Am I off base here?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: 3D printed PM connectors?

no reason not to.

i would recommend high temp resin printed part

i dont care for the molex sleeve as it doesnt have another ring around the terminal. if someone could come up with a spring steel slotted sleeve that would go around the molex and keep it squeezed on the pin, this would be the hot setup.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I haven't done any research into which terminals would be best or anything, but I would think someone has this pretty well figured out by now. Frankly, I'm surprised nobody has tried to offer anything like this yet.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    no reason not to.

i would recommend high temp resin printed part

i dont care for the molex sleeve as it doesnt have another ring around the terminal. if someone could come up with a spring steel slotted sleeve that would go around the molex and keep it squeezed on the pin, this would be the hot setup.

Brian
    if you look closely you'll note the barrel in the connector has a larger diameter than the pin in the socket on the PM

because there's a little tang inside the barrel connector that makes the contact with the pin..

that's why you don't want to jam anything in the barrel portion of the connector and start reaming it out thinkin you're cleaning the contact

a buddy was over one evening tinkering with his car
    I walked in through the side door .. right at the driver's fender to find ..to my horror.. he was in the process of reaming out all those barrel connectors with my torch tip cleaner files..

I asked.. and he answered "just finishing up the second one why??"

he wasn't going anywhere for a couple of hours.. not until we dug up another pair of connectors from my basement and spliced them on..

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    if you look closely you'll note the barrel in the connector has a larger diameter than the pin in the socket on the PM

because there's a little tang inside the barrel connector that makes the contact with the pin..

that's why you don't want to jam anything in the barrel portion of the connector and start reaming it out thinkin you're cleaning the contact

a buddy was over one evening tinkering with his car
    I walked in through the side door .. right at the driver's fender to find ..to my horror.. he was in the process of reaming out all those barrel connectors with my torch tip cleaner files..

I asked.. and he answered "just finishing up the second one why??"

he wasn't going anywhere for a couple of hours.. not until we dug up another pair of connectors from my basement and spliced them on..
    yes I know that there are 2 little tangs..... which also means that there isnt that much contact over the length of the pin. perhaps a standard molex female pin is better than the stock 2 tab larger sleeve.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

I would be I m terested in having new ones if the problem could be solved. I think Andrew Kane can do that type of thing.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?