Thread: Rock auto fuel filters

Garrett booster

Rock auto fuel filters

Walked out to the car the other day....
    and noticed a damp spot by the fuel filter. Jack it up, take a 👀 and the rubber hose is split. My question is did the rock auto turbo fuel filter come with hoses, or did i get crappy hoses somewhere else? I did the filter less than 2 years ago and maybe 1400 miles ago

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Rock auto fuel filters

no fuel filter i have ordered from RA has come with hoses. Ive ordered a handful of purolator filters. mine are all hose and clamp connections, no quick disconnects.

the stock hoses do deteriorate over time. ive replaced all of mine.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    no fuel filter i have ordered from RA has come with hoses. Ive ordered a handful of purolator filters. mine are all hose and clamp connections, no quick disconnects.

the stock hoses do deteriorate over time. ive replaced all of mine.

Brian
    Same here. I've never received one of our fuel filters from anywhere which came with the hoses. I bought 50' spools of hose off of Amazon a year or so ago when they were blowing out some Continental brand hose. Make sure to get some quality EFI hose clamps too. I buy those in bulk off of Amazon too.

Garrett booster

Ok, so I must have picked up crap hose somewhere That helps a lot. I’ve also replaced all my rubber fuel hoses. Ones up at the regulator look fine.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I'll be the odd one out and say that regardless of source (including R/A) every filter I have obtained came with a piece of hose and a 45 degree QD fitting. Now the quality of said hose is unknown and it always gets tossed aside and replaced with known EFI rated fuel line SAE 30R9, more than once those filter kits have come with SAE 30R7 which a no-no on anything besides carburetor pressure fuel systems.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6200&jsn=14977
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I'll be the odd one out and say that regardless of source (including R/A) every filter I have obtained came with a piece of hose and a 45 degree QD fitting. Now the quality of said hose is unknown and it always gets tossed aside and replaced with known EFI rated fuel line SAE 30R9, more than once those filter kits have come with SAE 30R7 which a no-no on anything besides carburetor pressure fuel systems.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6200&jsn=14977
    That's for your 94, right? That would make sense for the stuff new enough to have the quick disconnect fittings. The 1st gen neon fuel filters come with the appropriate hoses too.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

That filter is, even the ones that do not come with the QD fitting though (1990-ish and older) I have received with a short piece of mystery hose and some matching pos worm clamps that have no place on an EFI pressure fuel system.

Like this one https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6200&jsn=652 That hose and worm clamps has no place on anything besides a lawn mower.

Every fuel filter change I change all of the rubber hose under the hood, at the filter and tank.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I would also agree that the proper hose and clamps are essential. I've seen too many engine fires in these things posted over the years.

Garrett booster

After reading some comments here. I went back and looked at the fuel line but couldn’t find any numbers. There was a “Made in” but it was chopped
    The reason I asked if the filters came with hoses was because I figured pretty much all the filters have been sitting around for a good long while. So I wondered if the hoses were old from sitting in the box

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Could be a non turbo, low psi, part number that came with low psi hose for a carbureted engine
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia