Thread: so .. Fram vs Wix .. something to consider-maybe

turbo addict

so .. Fram vs Wix .. something to consider-maybe

quoted posts are from a thread on the "Ontario Rodders" site by a couple of the participants

!..Don't get me wrong, I used to use Wix myself but on my big $$ 440, the filters looked suspiciously clean when I would take the time to cut them open. It turns out, the bypass valve in the Wix were set at something like 11 PSI which means that with my heavier oil and high volume oil pump, the filter was running in bypass most of the time. The Frams would go into bypass at 18 psi, so I switched and never looked back. Felt kinda raped by the whole experience because the Wix filter was not actually filtering anything whatsoever. Things may have changed since then but why risk it, even if they are cheaper?

2 .. Actually the Wix is working quit efficiently. Its my understanding that the filter bypass is actuated only when the filter clogs thus 11 lbs would be better than 18 lbs. Use whatever you think is best. For me its Wix or Purolator.

Not try to "convert" anyone, just sharing experience. For the record, the bypass valve in your oil filter opens on virtually all cold starts, particularly if you run a thick oil. In my case the Wix filters in the trunk were filtering almost as much oil as the one on the engine. LOL

as an extra.. if one considers adding a dual remote filter mount.. consider most DO NOT filter the oil twice

if you check the routing cast into the piece the oil goes to one or the other filter
    as far as I know ONLY a Hamburger Pans dual filter mount actually routes the oil first through one filter and then the second filter..there's a reason one costs 150 bucks and the other costs about 40

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: so .. Fram vs Wix .. something to consider-maybe

#2 doesn't understand
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Re: so .. Fram vs Wix .. something to consider-maybe

Depends on how the pressure is measured. I would expect it to be 11 psi across the filter element (vs relative to atmospheric pressure.)

I have not done a pressure drop test on the filter, but 11 psi sounds like a fairly significant amount of pressure to lose because of a filter.