Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Replacement Parts List

A/C Replacement Parts List

Hey I am planning to get the AC working in the Lancer and was wondering what items I needed to ensure I replace them. Looking for part numbers or specific enough that I can search Rock Auto or the like to get what I need. I know I need seals, but always fuzzy on the piece that is inline with the hose. And do I need to replace the expansion valve? Anything else?

I will be checking Rock Auto for the seal kits, but last time I think I had issues finding one at the parts store with help so not sure if I will find what I need with ease or not.

Thanks in advance!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: A/C Replacement Parts List

When I did the minivan, I replaced the expansion valve, and the receiver/drier. I actually did the condenser too, but I think it may have been unnecessary. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I replaced the whole system with the exception of the lines.

There is a ton of good info and many links in the thread I started about this last summer. We still have cold AC blowing in the van, but the conversion from R12 has left the efficiency lacking like every other conversion. In the van, it's especially rough since the greenhouse is so big.

I do have a sweet vacuum pump, gages, and enough duster to easily do your rig. Come on up and we should be done in an afternoon.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: It would help if I included the link.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?85564-AC-How-To

Haha well there is a guy in our local group that has the equipment, I wasn't sure what all I needed. I'll use the link and get what I need. Would like to have it working this summer since I drive the car regularly. I'd only I had more time....
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Get a parallel flow condenser that is as big as the radiator. they typically have either #6 or #8 o-ring threaded connections. these fittings can be found on ebay for cheap.

get a #6 o-ring connection receiver/drier and a set of lines for your vehicle (or close enough vehicle) from rockauto.

get a length of #6 barrier hose.

get a length of #8 barrier hose.

get a hose crimper. my mastercool crimper was 95$ used on ebay. there may be cheaper clones.

get ready to cut the crimps off of the new hoses and crimp on new hose and o-ring fittings to plumb in the receiver/drier and parallel flow condenser.

charge with ester or pag oil and run r154a duster.

we can chat at SDAC and I can show you what i did with my reliant.

Unfortunately, my condenser is a little small and my ductwork is missing much of the foam so I only have 48degree air temp out the vents. and im not running a headliner or carpet so my AC performance is a bit lacking.

im going to swap in a scirocco rad and larger condenser and do some insulating in the cabin on my next attempt and add foam to the heater box and HVAC connections to increase performance.

But it works.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Man that's awesome. I'd be happy for 60° temps. Don't think I ever saw anything less than upper 60s before. Thanks Brian!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Man that's awesome. I'd be happy for 60° temps. Don't think I ever saw anything less than upper 60s before. Thanks Brian!!
    Wow. That's a really high temp. Even the minivan at least puts out air in the 50s, depending on outside temp. I think you're going to be thrilled if you go with a parallel flow condenser. I'll be checking that out myself...

i leave some performance on the table because im using a 3 core half size honda radiator and so the condenser is only the size of that. but do have the air blocked off to get more through the cores.

it doesnt help that the ductwork and blower system arent as efficient as new stuff.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If the system has been open for a while (years), plan on replacing the evaporator. When left open, the evaporator gets full of dirt. The dirt absorbs moisture and rots out the evaporator.

yeah if i remove the TXV, i tape the ports on the evaporator with aluminum furnace tape.

that said, i pulled the tape off once and forgot to put it on for a few days and when i came back, a mud wasp filled the ports with a nest. I cleaned it out and pipe cleaner/brakekleened the ports and flushed the evaporator and all was well.

Brian

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Servicing the A/C today and like normal the POS filter/drier flanged connections are not sealing. The aftermarket AC hoses use aluminum instead steel like the original hoses. Putting a straight edge across the connection when torqued down the aluminum flange is deflecting instead of the crush gasket crushing...

I always hear about the DIY route and fabricating hoses. I am ready to take the plunge and make a bullet proof AC system that actually stays sealed. The condenser and filter drier I can see going to a universal type O-ringed sealed design. The compressor and evaporator connections are more vehicle specific obviously. I was always envisioning some universal type crimp on hose ends that were flange designs like OEM would be available. Searching has shown that most everything is either O-ring or flare type connections.

Curios as to what others here have done.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I used red loctite as suggested on the forums here for many years successfully.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

i have used red loctite on those old receiver drier fitting with success. lightly massage some loctite into the gasket and then assemble. dont use too much. also one thing I did was use a pair of vice grips on the side of the aluminum receiver driver opposite the bolt as i cinched the bolt down tight. It didnt leak.

i switched to the o ring setup for ease of taking things apart and putting them back together.... that and the condenser i bought came with a free receiver drier lol.

there is place in texas on ebay that offers the barbed barrier fittings with the crimp fitting attached for a good price. https://www.ebay.com/usr/johnjoysyl?...p2047675.l2559

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

this is the one i have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181705136475

i cut the bracket off of a stock receiver drier and pop riveted a t bar hose clamp to it, wrapped a piece of silicone hose coupler around the receiver drier and clamped it with the t bar clamp and screwed it to the inner fender.

Brian

I did use red anerobic, tightened the nuts and used two pairs of vise grips pinching it together to help crush the crush gaskets. Not holding much hope for it working. New hoses are $100/each and still just garbage.

Did find this
    https://coldhose.com/collections/rec...35532381913248

Not at all opposed to cutting the ends of the hoses off and crimping fittings on to use that style of inline universal drier.

that would work.

i take a dremel to the original hose clamps on the factory lines, then i slide on a new crimp connector and a new piece of hose and crimp.

i reuse the factory hose if it has enough length to do what I want to do.

my pex cutter cuts the barrier hose real nice.

Brian

only issue with that inline receiver drier is that it is #8 size fittings and hose.

the factory size stuff around that area is #6. 5/16" inner diameter hose.

sometimes they use a reduced size barrier hose for that high pressure line to the evaporator. I cut the original crimp so that I can use the 5/16 id, 3/4od hose cause my crimper does the standard size.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    only issue with that inline receiver drier is that it is #8 size fittings and hose.

the factory size stuff around that area is #6. 5/16" inner diameter hose.

sometimes they use a reduced size barrier hose for that high pressure line to the evaporator. I cut the original crimp so that I can use the 5/16 id, 3/4od hose cause my crimper does the standard size.

Brian
    I did notice the size issue after looking more. Step down fittings to go from #6 hose to #8 fittings do exist but not in a configuration I would need (45* bend, reduced diameter hose) . Right now the existing hoses are #6 reduced diameter on the input from the condenser and #6 standard on the output to the evaporator.

This stubby guy looks like it would be a good fit in the stock location. #6 fittings
    Nostalgic AC - Shorty Standard O-ring Receiver Drier

nice. yeah that should fit no problem.

Brian

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Look for flocked gaskets. They are steel core with some fuzzy material on the outside to take up space.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for my C-171 compressor for my 85 Charger? The oring on the clutch end of the compressor failed. I think it was caused by a frozen expansion valve. I had put grease in the tube for the cycling clutch switch, but not enough so the heat didn't transfer to the tube which operates the switch diaphram and the low side got over pressured. At the least, orings might reseal the clutch end get it operating again.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Four Seasons 24032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast