Thread: need logic module for L body TII conversion & 1 piece int bolts

turbo addict

need logic module for L body TII conversion & 1 piece int bolts

GLHS LM would be nice,

or mopar perf for GLHS would be nicer

I'd rather not have to mess with the map sensor relocation .. but willing to consider having to depending what's available

really would prefer a 7200 rpm ignition cut though .. got kinda used to it with my previous L body years ago so less would be like running with my shoes tied together ...

just need it for getting a conversion running and maybe drive able .. so I don't need anything more than the MP LM would offer

I snapped off a t-stat housing bolt the other day ..and I was already thinking I don't trust the old head gasket and wanted to change it anyways... have another head for re and re before I tear my motor apart.. simple day job to swap out the log intake and swap in the TII .. with the head gasket and a fresh cylinder head

- if I don't break anymore bolts ...

I looked at the FWD Performance LM listings .. but for the simple sake of getting something running I'd like to go with a factory mopar piece - not to knock 'em but if I have issues I don't want mental ???'s and doubts

a MP LM and my 314 cam sound about right ... always did

and, I'm not sure about the length needed for the one piece intake to cylinder head , bolts - if they are the same as the log motor intake's .. then not an issue
    if different .. I need a set

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: need logic module for L body TII conversion & 1 piece int bolts

Johnny,
    I can convert your existing LM to what ever you want in exchange for your wrenching skills :-)

I recall Todd talking about the bolt lengths but cannot find his info at this point.
    Last edited by chromguy; 05-04-2021 at 12:19 PM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post797474

Derek,
    Well it could be worse. You could have tried to use the one piece bolts on a two piece manifold. This is why there are so many stripped out threads on turbo cylinder heads. IIRC, the 2 piece are like 58mm long. 60 is too long and will bottom out on head bolts. 55mm a bit short. I trim 60mm to fit. I would have mentioned that to you when we spoke, but since you weren't replacing the manifold, I didn't think you would have replaced the bolts. If that is the worse thing to happen, then not so bad. Have some help when setting that cylinder head on the dowel pins. You don't want to drag the cylinder head across those pins. they are very close to the sealing surface for the fire ring (headgasket). Seen that done about 50 times before.
    Todd
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    and, I'm not sure about the length needed for the one piece intake to cylinder head , bolts - if they are the same as the log motor intake's .. then not an issue
    if different .. I need a set
    Johny,
    The log intake bolts are the shortest @ 45mm shank length. The 1 piece intake bolts use a 50mm shank length from the factory. The 2 piece use the longest, at 57-58mm length. You might be able to use a 55mm bolts on the 1 piece, but you will probably have to shorten 4 of them. The ones that intersect with the headbolt holes. More thread engagement is better in aluminum, as long as they don't bottom out.
    Todd

turbo addict

cool beans.. thanks guys..

with that info I should be able to find something in the bolt bucket - I save the bolts from everything I ever take apart , at home or the wrecker's..

I just filled a sundry list of little things , like cam seals and v/c end seals from FWD Perf .. and new exhaust studs - usually it seems I have to dremel the old nuts off ..

lol..80-90 bucks for a mopar headgasket ?? OUCH..
    looks like the old fel pro I resisted using for thirty years is going in .. (have , still mint like new )

the gasket on motor has a pentastar so I figure I probably have a "one time reuse" left in the head bolts .. yep doing this the cheap way ...
    might go cheap on the cylinder head too .. simply clean , lap valves and install the stem seals it "kinda" needed back when I drove the car it's from ..

wish I could still find the fel pro print a seal headgaskets .. they were my fail proof go to gasket ...at nineteen bucks
    -one even held without remembering to do the quarter turn .. my turismo TI used to eat rod bearings seasonally so I did a lot of tear downs ....I remember THAT one

if everything on my list shows up I'll only need a jug of oil and an 2 1/4 exhaust doughnut ...and new rad / heater & fuel hoses

I think the nice clean turbo on my log motor is probably a better bet than the TII turbo in the basement that hasn't run in years ..
    I've never driven the car but it doesn't smoke when started
    just pull the compressor housing off and pinch off the existing egr tube - rather than fight with the fitting

lol..all it finally took was a snapped off t-stat bolt.. ..time to get XXXX done

Felpro are now a good cheap gasket at $6.72 plus tax plus shipping from RA. I have 6 new ones here, I suppose I could spare one....I also have a few Mopar from RA as well 5281064AB.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

FYI I recently ordered 10 Fel-Pro head gaskets 9296 PT and they all came in with rust on fire rings and they where a really outdated version that were at least two revisions old. They were in Napa packaging. Looked like 20+ years old. After showing pics to RA, they didn't want them back. Someone else on the two forums just ran into the same issue as I did, so beware about ordering them. IIRC, they came out of Sugarland, TX warehouse.
    Todd

turbo addict

thanks , but I'll probably just use the one I have .. it's still pristine and I already sprung for the can of gasket spray .. figuring .. fel pro lol..

my biggest single challenge might just be getting my supply of rattle can paints outta canadian tire as they're closed to in store shopping ..for now ... and I refuse to put old dirty nasty looking stuff together ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    FYI I recently ordered 10 Fel-Pro head gaskets 9296 PT and they all came in with rust on fire rings
    Well that sucks! I guess I lucked out.

- - - Updated - - -

my biggest single challenge might just be getting my supply of rattle can paints outta canadian tire as they're closed to in store shopping ..for now ... and I refuse to put old dirty nasty looking stuff together ...
    Order online for local pickup usually one day delay
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

thinking I might wait to decide what sort of re-freshening the head gets until I pull the head off the motor and look inside..

ring ridge .. or lack of should reflect what exactly the odometer is trying to say at 47,000KM's.. -- 28,000 miles..

if that appears to be true then it's a better idea to have the head re & re'ed properly rather than slap old N used on top of it

it appears to be the original engine with some vacume line repairs

I haven't had issues with the block dowel pins messing up the head .. but I've fubared a head gasket getting the little bracket for the dipstick tube caught between the head & gasket..that sucker always needs wiggled lose and dropped to the bottom of the tube if the tube is left in the block..!!

it was the stud for that bracket that snapped off.. once as I tried to remove the nut , then again as I tried to remove the stud from the head ..

there's something to be said I guess for taking your car apart at least once a year..

turbo addict

if one looks down the back of my rad , at the fan and the rad .. one might think the 28,000 mile number more likely.. as they are way nicer than any I had 25 years ago.. now

so stock charger rad , bumped over to the passenger side and a front mount intercooler instead of making my old & used daytona TII set up fit

I need a new battery so a half sized one & some alternate overflow jug .. "and done" enough room to get past the rad

- and I've always preferred the charger rad fan too.. the plastic fan is intended to be quoit .. not move more air..

turbo addict

and my parts from FWD P are on the way ..
    seems postage from the US has gotten really spendy in recient times..

seems postage from the US has gotten really spendy in recient times..
    Yes postage including fees usually run approx$100. It is the courier border fees that sting not the government taxes
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

fortunately this time it's USPS so no brokerage fees..

in the meantime ..looks like I have to replace my truck's steering box ..car's simply not going to be ready fast enough to avoid it
    -but I found one , rebuilt locally and a pitman .200 bucks and free local delivery ..about 1/4 of what I expected it to be

sigh, if it's not one thing .. it's the other .. no wining here