Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super 60 Wire Harness Help

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: Super 60 Wire Harness Help

As Todd mentioned the S 60 harness was designed for 1985-1987 L-body's

These cars had a 40 pin bulkhead connector so the S60 harness plugged in.

All 1988 SMEC and newer cars went to a 50 pin bulkhead connector.

As Todd was using the S60 harness he needed a 40 pin bulkhead.

His 1988 had a 50 so he swapped it out for a 40 pin bulkhead.

With L body's the bulkhead is part of the dash harness.

I think you mentioned you have a GLH or GLH-T

Either one should be a 40 pin bulkhead.

GLH will need a fuel pump wire.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    Knowing what is compatible would be helpful. Like do these harnesses have to be from an L-Body?

Todd, what was your reasoning for swapping the dash harnesses? I had to do the opposite, I installed a new dash harness from a Horizon since I had a non-AC harness which isn't compatible with an AC car. Only thing that was missing was the fog light connector/wires. It appears there is a connector for the fog lights just no wiring and switch.
    -Ryan
    Ryan, a 88 alternator harness from a l-body will work, but you would have to graft in the turbo HEP wiring into it. A 88 alternator harness from a larger turbo will be a complete plug in. On some of the alternator harnesses, you may have to slightly enlarge the alternator harness' eyelet holes, as some styles used a larger diameter stud coming out of the alternator. In 88, it could be a Chrysler corporate (black plastic back), Bosch, or ND alternator. All three utilized the same spacing for electrical connections.
    I had to change my dash harness on my 88 because all 88+ used a 50 pin connector. The s-60 underhood harness uses the 40 pin connector so it was compatible with all GLHT/SC applications. They don't mate.
    FYI the 50 pin connector uses locations for 38 smaller pins for light loads and 12 full size pins for heavier loaded wiring. The 40 pin connector has locations for 40 full size pins.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Ryan, a 88 alternator harness from a l-body will work, but you would have to graft in the turbo HEP wiring into it. A 88 alternator harness from a larger turbo will be a complete plug in. On some of the alternator harnesses, you may have to slightly enlarge the alternator harness' eyelet holes, as some styles used a larger diameter stud coming out of the alternator. In 88, it could be a Chrysler corporate (black plastic back), Bosch, or ND alternator. All three utilized the same spacing for electrical connections.
    I had to change my dash harness on my 88 because all 88+ used a 50 pin connector. The s-60 underhood harness uses the 40 pin connector so it was compatible with all GLHT/SC applications. They don't mate.
    FYI the 50 pin connector uses locations for 38 smaller pins for light loads and 12 full size pins for heavier loaded wiring. The 40 pin connector has locations for 40 full size pins.
    Todd
    I frantically ran to the garage to make sure I installed the correct dash harness... All good. Haha!

Sounds like I need to do some shopping. So a wire harness from any 88' Turbo car would be compatible? I have a section that was hacked off that I need to sort out, I guess my picture isn't working. I should really sort that out.

Right now I am charging ahead with the old LM harness but have no reservation to ripping it out.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by RJ138 View Post
    I frantically ran to the garage to make sure I installed the correct dash harness... All good. Haha!

Sounds like I need to do some shopping. So a wire harness from any 88' Turbo car would be compatible? I have a section that was hacked off that I need to sort out, I guess my picture isn't working. I should really sort that out.

Right now I am charging ahead with the old LM harness but have no reservation to ripping it out.
    Ryan,
    Well good thing you bolted in a 87 and older dash harness (lol)
    You can use any 88 harness for parts, but they're all fairly unique for each chassis. The 88 alternator harness out of a 88 turbo larger car will bolt in. Yeah I'm not seeing any pics. There is always email.
    So your undecided on whether to use the LM harness or the S-60 harness? You have changes that need to be made to the GLHT harness too to get it to 87 TII compatibility. It is pretty straight forward.
    Todd

turbo addict

while I'd say I like the upgraded 88-ish electrical system . wiring , smec and updated relays there's something to be said for already having everything you need and only having to make minor changes to it

modifying the LM harness MIGHT be the simplest solution .. rather than finding other harness parts , usable ones .. matching connectors , hunting bits etc.. I'm presuming your existing LM/PM GLHT harness is probably complete and in working order...??

working with already known good working parts has a major benefit too as then if something doesn't work you can back track to the mods you made with some assurance the rest of the electrical system is in order

swapping absolutely everything out .. that leaves room for errors that later could be hard to trace or could cause damages best avoided..
    just saying..as I want to swap to a smec harness myself and do only a very simple turbo II upgrade BEFORE I start "building" anything
    that way I start with , hopefully a good working basic TII swap.. that later can be modded

which in turn makes the idea of simply modding the GLHT harness into a GLHT-S TII harness .. not unwise as my car already has one of the best wiring harness' I've come across..

my K car smec harness needs all it's fusable links replaced .. and hopefully the reason they're all cut out & replaced with red wire figured out..
    which introduces the "it might not work after " factor I described above..

having parts you're personally familiar with from past use is a huge benefit

the example of my TII swapped 86 turbo z is perfect

one saturday I started the day with the intent of putting my car back together..complete car ..but , motor and trans .. "on the garage floor" at the start of the day

I spent the morning hours cleaning up the old log motor manifold bits.. and had everything ready , cleaned and painted..

I went in the house and past the cylinder head dressed with full TII "gear" as I went to get something .. and I stopped and considered..I have everything from my car that I pulled the TII bits from.. I used to drive it regularly..

so..16 hours later at about 6am.. my 86 daytona was sitting in the driveway warming up to go for it's test ride..

I put the motor and trans together and in , striped the 86 lm/pm system out of the car and swapped in my 87 shelby z engine harness from my old car.. I knew it worked when I took it out of the car so I had a better than average chance it would still work in the current car..

but
    with that swap my 86 inherited all the electrical "ghosts" my shelby z had..- the reasons I'd replaced it with another 87 harness

months later,
    terminating with dropping the hood shut one night only to have smoke pour out the inlet of the power module a few moments later

it was at that point I went and found a nice minty 88 J body lebaron harness with the smec upgrade and an 88 dash harness

so I guess I'm trying to say changing as little as you can while still making major changes .. might be the best plan ..

do things in steps .. modding the lm/pm harness MIGHT be the wise plan if you want to do the TII conversion.. work with what you know works ..now
    then when you have a good knowing working tii car .. modify THAT with the smec harness upgrade
    then if you have issues it's either the simple mods you made to the lm/pm harness , or something to do with the motor..

another good example.. my turbo turismo conversion.. I made the huge mistake of using a harness from a badly crushed shelby charger .. I had to cut , chisel, out sections of the cowel top to get the corners of the harness out from behind the strut towers as the front end was hit sooo hard they moved back against the firewall
    it was 1989 and stuff was still hard to find .. being "so new" so I hadda take what I could get

built the car .. finished everything .. but that dammed crushed harness cost me an additional 800 bucks having the guys at the dealership trace things for me...before it would start....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12