Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Falco Rosso SL#356

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Falco Rosso SL#356

Glad to see it's getting some love. I think the hood on it was the one I gave Jim from #235 and think Dave gave him a new hood too. Last SDAC Chicago Chapter meet that we helped with it a few years back, it was close to running.

Here is a pick of Jim 'driving' it (SDAC powered) from the meet 4/16/2011 we put the bottom end and trans in it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_8689x.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	65425

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the pic JT. It definitely ran on its own the other day, if barely. That's to be expected with no sensors hooked up and a leaking rail though. I'm hoping my back ordered Deutsch connector arrives as scheduled tomorrow and I can finish off the rail fuel and electrical installation before moving on to the hard parts. I think it should at least be able to run in a couple weeks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The knipex wire strippers worked well on the tefzel insulation ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The knipex wire strippers worked well on the tefzel insulation ?
    Very well. While the Paladin strippers would be satisfactory to all but the most rigorous inspection for insulation being 100% uniform after the strip, the Kinpex units made it look perfect. The wire underneath looks like it wasn't touched (just like the Paladin) and the insulation is perfectly removed too. Given the that Paladin unit was only tested with one gauge of wire, I feel much more confident in the Knipex unit for the long haul, butin some situations, I could see the Paladin strippers being used. That would most likely be for an emergency repair in a place which I can't get access to use the Knipex strippers.

Either way, I feel like a high roller with my new crimpers. That's good, because I would have died if I had to pay $350 for a set.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for the pic JT. It definitely ran on its own the other day, if barely. That's to be expected with no sensors hooked up and a leaking rail though. I'm hoping my back ordered Deutsch connector arrives as scheduled tomorrow and I can finish off the rail fuel and electrical installation before moving on to the hard parts. I think it should at least be able to run in a couple weeks.
    no problem, I'll have to see what pics I have of it from 20 years ago...

Awesome to hear it ran!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    no problem, I'll have to see what pics I have of it from 20 years ago...

Awesome to hear it ran!
    Wow. That would be incredible to see. I've emailed back and forth a bit with the second owner and he definitely mentioned some old school SDAC connections. This car has a lot of history, and I really hope I can get her back on the road soon.

Here are a couple from 1999 Chicagoland Mopar Connection "Moaprs on the Mississippi" show in Dubuque, IA. Steve (Flaco Rosso) , Ralph (GLHS), Dave (Ram) and me (Z) cruised on out there across Rt. 20 most of the way. fun trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicago guys.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	65438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fwd show @ d'buque.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	65437

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

My goodness. The Deutsch DT series connectors are out of stock everywhere I look. I'm half tempted to go the chinese knockoff route just so I can finish this injector sub harness. This is insane.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Amphenol AT series are supposed to be the same. The terminal locking wedges are different between Deutsch and Amphenol (the connector shell and wedge have to be the same mfg) but delcity claims they are plug together compatible.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Amphenol AT series are supposed to be the same. The terminal locking wedges are different between Deutsch and Amphenol (the connector shell and wedge have to be the same mfg) but delcity claims they are plug together compatible.
    Thanks for the tip. If I don't have anything show up in a few days, I'll go that route.

Well, I received some suitable terminals and housings recently. I have the rail in the car, with the coolant feed to the heater core and oil line hooked up. The car definitely ran today. Joy pointed out that the brake lights were permanently on. I unplugged the brake switch and they went off. I'm thinking the brake switch isn't positioned correctly, so that should be a relatively easy fix. Here are some pics from today for documentation purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9432.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	65439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9433.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	65440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9434.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	65441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9435.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	65442  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The car definitely ran today. .
    Awesome news!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Cool!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

The brake switch is most certainly mispositioned, so that should be easy with the exception of the close quarters it's in. Rad hoses should be in today and I'll block off the coolant to the turbo for now. We're getting really, really close!

Well, I fired it up and set the timing today. The teal converter doesn't help to see the mark with the timing light at all, but I'm pretty sure I got it. This thing might run and drive by the end of the summer!

The car runs and moves under its own power now with little issue. Stopping is another matter, entirely. I replaced the MC today with the 24mm unit because it was bad, and in anticipation of brake upgrades. Unfortunately, the brake line going to the right rear blew out when I was trying to clear a blockage in the left rear line. I'll most likely have to drop the tank in order to properly replace that section. On the up side, it appears as though the car is much more solid underneath than I was hoping for on account of the rust at the front of the left rear wheel well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

progress!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Excited to hear it runs/drives and almost stops! Yeah i recall that car being fairly solid the times we worked on it at Chicago Chapter meets at Jim's.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Relatively little to update. I dropped the tank and replaced the section of brake line which runs behind it. I noticed that the fuel tank grommet was in pretty rough shape, so I ordered up a few of them and will replace it when I put the tank back up. I'll take the time to coat everything with cosmoline while I'm waiting for the parts to get here. Tonight I'm also going to order up some rear disks, pads and bearings. This project is really beginning to drag on.
    Last edited by cordes; 08-28-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Congrats on the acquisition
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast