Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Falco Rosso SL#356

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Falco Rosso SL#356

Thanks to Jim (dodgeman87) I brought home the Red Falcon in the wee hours of yesterday. The car had a bit of a fire, but Jim did a great job getting it mostly back together and looking great for what happened to it. Fortunately, the car has been well loved by SDAC members, going back to the early days. I sincerely hope I can exorcise whatever demons may be left after the fire and that my wife can have a nice year round daily driver.

I have already assessed a few things and reset the timing as it was off by a couple teeth from what I could determine today. The fuel pump sounds a bit weak, but it runs when hooking up a jumper wire from the bat+ terminal to the + side of the coil. That's a great sign. Next will be to test the PM and LM by checking for fuel pump prime with the ignition flipped to the on position. I have a lot of parts on their way and I hope with the unseasonably warm weather, they'll find their way on the car much sooner than later.

Now for a couple pics as I received the car. More to come when I have some more time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4033-2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	65385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4035-2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	65386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4031-2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	65384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4030-2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	65383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4029-2.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	65382

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Falco Rosso SL#356

Looks in good shape, I am sure you will get it running like a clock shortly
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Looks in good shape, I am sure you will get it running like a clock shortly
    Fingers crossed. It was well taken care of, so I too have high hopes.

turbo addict

to bad .. looks like the fire dept fubared the fender getting the hood open.. one smack right above the hood catch with a small sledge hammer usually pops 'em to the safety catch..

something I learned working at the wreckers years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    to bad .. looks like the fire dept fubared the fender getting the hood open.. one smack right above the hood catch with a small sledge hammer usually pops 'em to the safety catch..

something I learned working at the wreckers years ago..
    That would have been nice for sure. As it is, I'll have to fix the tweaked upper rad support and install a whole new header panel area.

I worked on the car today for a couple hours. I installed a new U nut for the battery tray, so that is secure now. I buttoned up a few things to get it ready to run, and then made an oil feed line for the turbo. Once that was done I attempted to start it. Unfortunately, the car has a funny no start situation. The starter will engage if you jump the wires at the connector, but the relay, which appears to work doesn't engage the starter. I'm wondering if the spare starter relay I pulled from the garage was also faulty.

In addition to that, I noticed that there is fuel leaking from the damper on the two piece fuel rail. Sooooo, I'll have to replace that with a universal fuel rail I picked up recently, and run lines to a regulator. Not a huge deal, but it's still annoying. While I'm in there, I'll install some new S60 injectors I picked up along with an injector harness which I'll make for it.

This thing is getting too custom, too quickly.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    This thing is getting too custom, too quickly.
    stock is boring. custom is where its at.

87ish t1 rails can be modded to work with the t2 setup without too much issue. i vaguely remember a russ jerome tutorial.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    stock is boring. custom is where its at.

87ish t1 rails can be modded to work with the t2 setup without too much issue. i vaguely remember a russ jerome tutorial.

Brian
    Years ago, I would have been all over that. However, after my Acufab reg. spit out the return fitting a couple years ago in CSX 42, I decided I would upgrade everything to an aftermarket rail with braided lines anyway. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do so with this car before I was able to see if it would run or not.

i hear ya.... I have a random aftermarket rail on my reliant but I still have some rubber hose joining sections of copper nickel hard line that i bent up. i remote mounted the rail mounted accufab regulator to the inner fender.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i hear ya.... I have a random aftermarket rail on my reliant but I still have some rubber hose joining sections of copper nickel hard line that i bent up. i remote mounted the rail mounted accufab regulator to the inner fender.

Brian
    I'll still have a little bit of rubber in the lines where they come off the firewall, but it will be to couple the factory hard lines to the braided stuff which will run to the under hood fuel system and that's it.

I'm not going cheap on the wiring for this thing, or pretty much anything at this point. I ordered up some tefzel wire and will use that along with new Bosh fuel injector connectors and Deutsch DT series connectors for the wiring at the rail.

nice. i did crimp up new fuel injector connectors and used jegs cross linked automotive wire in the appropriate black/green/tan colors but i reused the 6 pin harness connector as mine was so greasy, the contacts were perfect. i pried apart the orginal crimp on the pin and recrimped it to the wire and hit it with a touch of silver solder.

Brian

I breifly thought about getting some new terminals and keeping the stock terminal housing. I need to justify the cost of all the specialty crimping tools and wire strippers though, so here we are...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I breifly thought about getting some new terminals and keeping the stock terminal housing. I need to justify the cost of all the specialty crimping tools and wire strippers though, so here we are...
    "regular" wire strippers will work on tefzel (excellent wire choice btw) but the right ones made for it will be far less painful to use and you wont nick the wire strands.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    "regular" wire strippers will work on tefzel (excellent wire choice btw) but the right ones made for it will be far less painful to use and you wont nick the wire strands.
    I have a nice Paladin wire stripper. Is that what I need? At this point, what's another wiring tool?

https://smile.amazon.com/Greenlee-11...b-c05699555c56

Tefzel insulation is very thin and very 'hard' vs something like pvc or cross link type insulation. Those pinch type wire strippers might work but I suspect they will slip and shred on the insulation. The good (expensive) wire strippers from ideal actually use a blunted blade to grab the insulation and tear it vs cutting like knife.

I do not work on the electrical side of things much any more. When I did, work supplied Ideal industries 45-671 which were the standard blade type unit good for 16-22 gauge. They were ok on tefzel but I (bought by myself) used part number 45-2133 which have a completely different type of blade and gripper pad. In 2014 they were $207, they are now closer to $300 or $400 depending upon seller.

The 45-671's are around $60. 45-673 is the same thing with a range of 12-18 gauge and optimized for stranded wire.

Yikes. That's expensive, even by my crimper/stripper standards. I don't suppose the blades are interchangeable?

I wonder if these bad lads will work. I guess there is only one way to find out...

https://smile.amazon.com/12-13-Preci...-no-redirect=1

Yikes. That's expensive, even by my crimper/stripper standards. I don't suppose the blades are interchangeable?
    I will look later and report back. I do think the blades are interchangeable, to buy the cheaper wire stripper and order the proper blades but I do know the gripper pad side of the frame is different. May not make a difference though. Price wise it is very close to just buying the complete stripping tool. Looking back 7 years it is absurd how much they have gone up in price. All the wire strippers, crimpers and dies would cost over double to buy them now.

If you really want to go for the gold plated model these are the cadillac of hand held wire strippers
    I have the same model, if your doing thousands of wire terminations every day they are worth it.

Well, I've only made one test pass with the stripper I already own, but it did the job with no problems. Assuming that trend continues, I guess I'll have options when the other strippers show up.

The car sounded like it wanted to run today when I finally got it to crank over. The wiring or the actual neutral safety switch itself isn't good and it was preventing the starter from engaging. Once it did, it sounded like it wanted to fire up, and even ran a tad with me feathering the gas. Pretty impressive since there is virtually nothing hooked up either vacuum or induction wise. I pulled the upper half of the two piece off to swap fuel rails, and discovered a very nicely ported intake. I think it may have been done by the infamous Mr P-body (note there are multiple members with variations of this screen name, and I'm referencing the reputed scammer, Mike Sanders) who at one time claimed to work at Dart porting heads. Regardless, kudos to whomever did the work.

I hope to get the fuel rail wiring harness section made today, but the DT series connector will be a few days from arrival I believe. At least it's some good progress. I've shot a brief amount of video, and I think I might make a series to follow this.

I tried out the new wire strippers tonight. They make a perfect cut and strip the insulation off while leaving the strands in perfect condition. They will certainly be my go-to for Tefzel wire. Tomorrow I should have the rest of the connectors in, so I'll hopefully get the sub harness in soon. From there it should be pretty easy to make the Red Falcon run again.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast