Thread: How to create mp tune file.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

How to create mp tune file.

I want to take a stock tune from the repository and make it into a file I can use on MPtune. What are the steps and what components will I need.
    Thank you
    Jeff
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: How to create mp tune file.

You can learn it all here: https://pcm.neons.org/doku.php?id=st...RmuDtusPYPu-j4

I suggest dowloading all of it. The the original page is long gone, and is being guest hosted.

Thanks much!
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jeff,
    After you have read the boostbiutton document, send me an email and I will send you a few good documents
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

are you talking about a completely stock cal?

not a stock cal template within the turbonator system?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

My request was poorly worded. What I really want to know how to do is learn how to take .bins .asm's and the other components needed and assemble them from the beginning, what is the procedure A. to Z. Create a file folder and add whats needed until you have a MPTune file. As you know Brian the thought of trying to do that terrifies me. Lol. Its fun to play with tuning but I should really know how those files come into existence to understand better.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Miles, I have actually read this before but will reveiw it and let you know.
    Thank you.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Why? Rob Lloyd already disassembled most of the common stock cals and created templates. You can take the template and modify it as needed. These are proven many times over, why try to re-invent something that already works?

If you really want to know how the original code was assembled, you should get in contact with Stu Davis. Stu is the Chrysler engineer who developed the TII engine and wrote a lot of the computer code. Stu also wrote the first custom cals and was know as the “Indirect Connection”

Stu is on this forum, his user id is http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/me...-stuartshomepc

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=Stu+davis

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    My request was poorly worded. What I really want to know how to do is learn how to take .bins .asm's and the other components needed and assemble them from the beginning, what is the procedure A. to Z. Create a file folder and add whats needed until you have a MPTune file. As you know Brian the thought of trying to do that terrifies me. Lol. Its fun to play with tuning but I should really know how those files come into existence to understand better.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Miles, I have actually read this before but will reveiw it and let you know.
    Thank you.
    if you want to go from a stock cal vs a turbonator cal then i would wonder why also as ajakeski wondered. disassembling a stock cal is easy. identifying and structuring all the tables to work with Mptune takes 10's and even 100's of hours. been there, done that. unless there is not a similar Tcal then it would not be worth it. some of the later sbec2 and v6/v8 cals are missing generally but there are a "few" of those i've done over the past few years that are available and some that are out for testing that i've never heard back on.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

i could tell you how i did it in 2006 when i started playing with this stuff but it would be a huge waste of time. it was super tedious work.... taking a totally stock cal and scaling the individual tables for map sensor changes and injector changes..... then making the modifications for timing reduction beyond where the factory stopped calibrating them..... and making fueling changes beyond where the factory stopped calibrating them. I made you a base cal based on that early work (thats now much easier with MPTune, thanks Morris and Rob Lloyd) and explained what I did and why. You just have to calibrate the pumping efficiency so that the fueling is correct. then you need to dial in AdvanceFromMapWarmFull so that you dont get knock beyond where the factory calibrated them. Then copy those modifications into AdvanceFromMapWarmPart beyond 5psi so that you dont get knock when you slightly lift off the throttle. If you still get knock at a certain RPM where the torque peaks, you may need to adjust AdvanceFromRPM2 to keep the knock away as well.

Remember when I "yelled" at you for going off on wild goose chases that had nothing to do with tuning your charger so that it would survive?

This one of those times. You are just barely grasping tuning the base cal that I made you. I want you to succeed. Stick with adjusting PumpingEfficiency and AdvanceFromMapWarmFull and applying those changes to AdvanceFromMapWarmPart over 5psi so that the engine lives.

we can talk on the phone about the theory if you want. i dont want you to have to rebuild again.

Sorry if I'm too harsh. It's out of care, not anger.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    there are a "few" of those i've done over the past few years that are available and some that are out for testing that i've never heard back on.
    im working on one of those locally...... SBEC stuff. I'll have some info for you when the weather gets better.

Brian

I'm doing a bad job of asking a question, I don't want to create a tune from scratch, I don't have the programming background. What I was trying to get to is how to work with the asm, tpl, bin files. I don't know what I can do without screwing things up. For example, there are copies of the tune I am working with now, they didn't do what I wanted so they are practically worthless. Im afraid to delete them for fear they will somehow kill all of the work I want to keep. They are just confusing clutter as far as im concerned. Working with the files I guess is where im going with the question. This stuff is simple for you guys but not for me. I can see how my initial question got the responses it did but I had to start someplace, it could have been better.
    Thanks for your repsonses.

ohhhhh. oops. sorry. i thought you were going down a rabbit hole.

so you just want the ins and outs of keeping track of your revisions and files. computer organization more or less right?

That i can help with.

the asm file.... that file you just need to keep the latest version somewhere in your tune files (add the date to the file name?) and let MPTune know where it is when it asks.

the TPL file. this is your tune file that saves all your changes. each change you make should be saved as a new file... hit "Calibration" and then "Save As" an then name it something that describes the change and possibly the date.... like "1-30-2021-MoreFuel5000rpm" or 1-30-2021-1DeglessTiming21psi"

the .bin file. once you save your TPL file you hit the "Compile" button in MPTune. it may ask you for the location of the .ASM file. once you find the .asm file and hit "open" youll see it do the compiling. the .bin file will be saved in the same location as the .tpl file with the same filename but the extension (the .tpl or .bin after the file name) will be .bin.

so say you saved your "1-30-2021-MoreFuel5000rpm.tpl" file and then hit "Compile" and told it where the .asm file is and it compiles the calibration. in that same folder where the .tpl was will be a "1-30-2021-MoreFuel5000rpm.BIN file. this is the file that you flash to the ostrich or burn to a chip or send to the flashable ecu.

if you want, i can do a video running through the process some time.

Brian

That would be really helpful.