Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Van Build

Mitsu booster

Turbo Van Build

Back to the forums (deleted FB and IG because they suck).
    I was never super active here and in the SDAC group on Facebook but would post from time to time.

Recently posted some photos of my van I was finishing on SDAC FB group, I’ll use the forums now and make a semi sort of build/build progress post.

Build list is below

Finally got the van all together and went for some test drives the other day.

After driving for a bit with only partial throttle I gave it some gas and oil puked out the catch can pretty bad..

Did a compression test and found cyl 1 down, only 45psi.

Going to pull the head tonight, crossing fingers it’s just a head gasket. Note- the head was installed and driven on prior to me installing big turbo setup.

Build list
    -5 speed, A568 transmission
    -TU stage 4, 6 puck clutch w/ lightweight flywheel
    -Stock bottom end 2.5
    -Mild built head; beehive valve springs, PT lifters, barely + sized valves (don’t remember exact size), mild porting.
    -TU cast exhaust manifold
    -ATP swingvalve
    -TU tranny buster turbo, 50trim w/ stage 2 exhaust wheel and .63 stage 2 exhaust housing
    -ported 2-piece lower intake with custom upper plenum
    -ffv green top injectors
    -high flow fuel pump
    - 3” turbo back exhaust
    -frozenboost air/water intercooler

The purpose of the build is just to make a clean 350-400 whp. Do lots of burnouts and have lots of laughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Turbo Van Build

Bummer. My money is on a cracked piston. Hopefully the gasket let go, but... What are you doing for a cal? What boost level were you at when it went?

turbo addict

Nice build. IMO, FFV injectors are not nearly big enough for your HP goals. I've flowbenched plenty of them and they are no where near +18-20% as some claim. IMO +40's are a stretch for your goals.

Mitsu booster

Well it wasn’t the head gasket, the top of the piston looks fine but I’m sure the bottom of it is cracked. I kind of figured as much but was hoping for the easy fix.

On the search for a short block now.

The car has a flash-able SMEC, currently its tuned for the previous setup which was a t2 garret with basic ported bolt ons and ported head. The tune was good for 22psi on garrret, I had the boost controller set to 10 when driving around with the new setup. I know the tune needs to be adjusted for the new stuff, just figured at a low boost it would be fine.

I know the ffv’s are to small for my hp goal but I already had them from previous setup. Figured I need to break my clutch in and make sure things are sorted, so just kept them in for now.

Hopefully I’ll find a short block asap, ready to get this dialed in.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Nice build. IMO, FFV injectors are not nearly big enough for your HP goals. I've flowbenched plenty of them and they are no where near +18-20% as some claim. IMO +40's are a stretch for your goals.
    You think +40s are a stretch for a 350 hp goal?
    Serious question.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam92 View Post
    Serious question.

Much over 300WHP and the duty cycle with +40s gets well over 80% very fast. Add in their rating at 55PSI causing a lack of flow out of the pump due to the higher FP, and it's too much to ask IMO. 72 or 85lb injectors at the lower pressure rating are a great way to go.

turbo addict

Serious question.

No, +40 is not enough.

I'm on 1000cc/95lbs injectors, with E54 fuel, I'm at 77% duty cycle at 367whp.

If you use race gas, 1000cc might be enough. If you use E54-E85, get 1200cc-1600cc injectors for your 400whp goal.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Serious question.

I would say you should target something bigger, like 87pph. Unless you plan some high ethanol/e85 usage, then you'll need ever bigger.

This is all assuming you just want to run a normal, single FPR, and not an additional RRFPR.

I think with the tuning ability, you may as well get some larger set, and you'll have room to grow.

I'm a fan of using larger injectors and dropping fuel pressure a bit to take some work off the pump.

Edit:. I see others have jumped in as I was replying also. Anything in that range should work for you, 85-95pph. And adjust back with fuel pressure if you want to have them flow less.
    They all get rated at 43.5 psi fuel press.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

I agree with the last three comments, i was already planning on getting the 83# deccas from TU when I’m ready to get the tune dialed in. I’m not planning on race gas or e85, so 1000cc+ won’t be necessary for this build. I’ll be adding water/meth injection though for safety sake when the boost gets turned up.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I’ve had a few sets of FFV injectors flow matched and they ranged from 34 to 38 pph.

Mitsu booster

Motors out! Time for a rebuild.

Mitsu booster

Turbo Van Build

Shout out to Jackson Simler for building this stout bottom end! Should be here next week and I’ll get going on the re-assembly. Should be able to max out the turbo now at 425-450hp, wasn’t planning on it... but things escalated.

Last edited by Jon411; 03-05-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Before you start turning it up, I can run through the basics of dialing in the fuel with that flashable ECU.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

also with E85, youll want to have a content sensor in the return line and some way to read it so that you can adjust the overall fuel and timing advance since the ECU doesnt have any info to automatically adjust anything.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    also with E85, youll want to have a content sensor in the return line and some way to read it so that you can adjust the overall fuel and timing advance since the ECU doesnt have any info to automatically adjust anything.

Brian
    Awesome thank you, I’d appreciate the help.

I didn’t know these ecu’s could accept a flex fuel sensor, you mind sharing how to make that work?

Also you wouldn’t happen to have an extra tuning cable to sell would you? I need one as someone else did the previous tune for me.

Hybrid booster

The ECU's can't read a content sensor. He was saying you needed a gauge or readout to tell you so you can make adjustments as needed based on the ethanol content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
    Awesome thank you, I’d appreciate the help.

I didn’t know these ecu’s could accept a flex fuel sensor, you mind sharing how to make that work?

Also you wouldn’t happen to have an extra tuning cable to sell would you? I need one as someone else did the previous tune for me.

No i dont have an extra tuning cable.

there is info on here on how to make them with FTDI usb to serial cables. https://ftdichip.com/products/ttl-232r-5v-we/ this cable.

Yeah the ecu cant accept a content sensor, i meant get a gauge and scale fuel and ignition advance accordingly.

lots of places say you can run 4 deg more timing on E and you need ~30% more fuel flow.

I would think it wouldnt be too hard to use the Analog input for the charge temp sensor (89 T1 vehicles dont even use it) for an ethanol content sensor and put a timing and fuel scalar into the code.... but im not a code guy.

Brian

Mitsu booster

Thank you for the cable info.

I didn’t think you could easily make the ecu accept a flex fuel sensor, makes sense you were just saying ad a content sensor and gauge.

I’ll look into that more as I start tuning, I’ve heard a lot of good and bad on e85. I think I would probably lean towards just using race gas or a quality e85 for the track if I really wanted to push timing. Yea it’s more expensive but at least it’s consistent. I’ve heard most pump e85 content vary a lot, from e50-ish and up.

i would use the best pump gas that you can get and an alcohol injection system, either diy or an alkycontrol kit. cheap blue windshield washer fluid is methanol and water. it works well.

you can also get denatured alcohol in the paint section at walmart. not sure which is more cost effective, that or cheap vodka at the liquor store. id have to price it out lol.

Brian

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i would use the best pump gas that you can get and an alcohol injection system, either diy or an alkycontrol kit. cheap blue windshield washer fluid is methanol and water. it works well.

you can also get denatured alcohol in the paint section at walmart. not sure which is more cost effective, that or cheap vodka at the liquor store. id have to price it out lol.

Brian
    Cool that was exactly what I was planning to do!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast