Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I tried...

Hybrid booster

Well I tried...

I contacted a company called RCV performance about making high performance CV axles for us. They said sure...minimum order of 20 at 2 grand a pop. Ouch! I don't want to be considered a "cheap turbo Mopar guy" but that's alot of jingle.

turbo addict

Re: Well I tried...

Was it JUST the axle or were they going to make the CV's with the cups and all, too? What materials and processes? What kind of warranty? I mean yeah, that is a LOT of money for axles that only a VERY small percentage of the group could even make use of, but it would be interesting to know what was behind that price point, too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

That sounds like the "We aren't interested in making these" price.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Was it JUST the axle or were they going to make the CV's with the cups and all, too? What materials and processes? What kind of warranty? I mean yeah, that is a LOT of money for axles that only a VERY small percentage of the group could even make use of, but it would be interesting to know what was behind that price point, too.
    I didn't get into any particulars with them. Honestly I would spend the money on a set but can't invest 40 grand into something I know I would never get my money back on.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I think there may be a solution for DSS however, we would need to find cores. I will reach back out to them.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Shadow says he uses chrysler dynasty axles .. maybe we should note that ...though I remember him posting there was a difference between the factory ones and some replacements ..and that you want the factory style..

me .. never laid eyes on a dynasty axle so I wouldn't know the difference ..

maybe we should ask him ..(?)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    Shadow says he uses chrysler dynasty axles .. maybe we should note that ...though I remember him posting there was a difference between the factory ones and some replacements ..and that you want the factory style..

me .. never laid eyes on a dynasty axle so I wouldn't know the difference ..

maybe we should ask him ..(?)
    Dynasty axle is only good for L body. You're suppose to use two driver side Dynasty axles with intermediate shaft, only factory Dynasty axle, not aftermarket ones.

I just use Autozone unequal length for my Omni.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 01-14-2021 at 03:29 PM.

turbo addict

thanks for that ^ .. I know he mentioned using a one piece intermediate shaft that he'd made too

- with some sort of hanger bearing solution I'd kinda like that idea

thinking I'm gonna need some "dime store" axles for my trans swap .. just to be able to do the swap
    .. but with a base log motor then stock TII for now , no biggie
    just hate wasting the money

turbo addict

I'd be interested in a hanger bearing solution .. I've saved , for years a nice section of steel tube , maybe ten inches long and 5-6 inches round .. for a shield around or over the intermediate shaft stuff

when I did the turbo / efi conversion in my 86 turismo with the carb car 305 trans , 13 inch goodyear vectors and no areo effects.. yes I did note a really big driving difference in with the equal length swap ..mostly when really light , on a highly crowned road and under power

that car would get to third gear without going anywhere .. dry pavement.. wet pavement you would spin the little goodyears right off just trying to accelerate for 40-50 mph .. in NORMAL but wet conditions

oh balls of fun though

adding the shelby airdam I didn't feel the air under the floor when cresting my local whoop de do's..

adding the shelby suspension and the weight of the 15 inch crab wheels N tires .. it felt like it wanted to stay on the road..
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 01-14-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

From speedfreek500's Holset Omni thread.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ht=holset+omni

Thanks
    Randy

I went to pick n pull on sunday and got two driver side axles, 1 from a dynasty and 1 from a Spirit. We all thought that "L" Body axles only fit l bodies........ We were all wrong and Shadow is correct that Dynasty axles DO fit the L body cars. I did loosen the front mount at the rad support and the passanger mount also, I installed the passanger side first and then the driver side. There is 1/4" like shadow said after the engine is center. The only problem i had was the driver inboard clamp was rubbing on the boot, simple fix. I removed the clamp and slid the boot out farther and reinstalled the clamp.

After the road test i did not hear any noise from the cv joints bottoming out. So i guess the Dodge L body axles that were so hard to find in the pick n pull yards is the past.

A very BIG thanks goes out to Shadow for telling me his tricks for better axles!

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Mitsu booster

You tried raxles.com? They are known in the Audi world for some cars that aren’t commonly needing strong axels. Never used them, but heard good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo addict

https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/cv-...smd=Iroc%20R/T

45 bucks
    ??
    really ?
    and they're actually good ?

cheap parts store ones used to be 300 odd bucks with a 100 & somethin' dollar core charge .. up here in toronto

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yes, Dynasty and minivans have larger inner CV's, long time trick to use those with correct center bar for the application.

L-body axles are shorter than the others, so a AA,E,G,H,J,K,P axle *may* fit but wont have the correct plunge unless the engine/trans is shifted over.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yes, Dynasty and minivans have larger inner CV's, long time trick to use those with correct center bar for the application.

L-body axles are shorter than the others, so a AA,E,G,H,J,K,P axle *may* fit but wont have the correct plunge unless the engine/trans is shifted over.
    Good to know dynasty are the same as minivans. Do you know if v6 dynasty is the same? There is one at my local junk yard if that’s the case.

I bought a set of Detroit axles for my van after another member said he had good luck with them. They cost around $80 for the pair, shipped for free and arrived in couple days.
    I have not installed them since my van runs and drives. The Detroit axles are my spares in case I have a failure.
    The axles are built to the stock length and appear to use factory ends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18E12357-9BC1-498A-AF9A-86C252AD77BE.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	65279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DABA870-4DDA-4A4D-8E23-A77D7B7DE80B.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	65278  

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I bought a set of Detroit axles for my van after another member said he had good luck with them. They cost around $80 for the pair, shipped for free and arrived in couple days.
    I have not installed them since my van runs and drives. The Detroit axles are my spares in case I have a failure.
    The axles are built to the stock length and appear to use factory ends.
    Problem is Detroit Axle is out of stock for the longer CV axle.

turbo addict

so I guess a pair of Detroit axles iroc r/t axles will do ..for now at least
    - I'm planing to use a dual pivot cross member without narrowing it .. so daytona size axles are exactly what I need
    - hopefully I still have a shelby z intermediate shaft assembly .. after moving

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

Did they offer an unequal length setup in the dynasty or would one be able to make one with the correct center shaft?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
    Good to know dynasty are the same as minivans. Do you know if v6 dynasty is the same? There is one at my local junk yard if that’s the case.

Wondering the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast