Thread: Electrical tip.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Electrical tip.

Hey all, recently I have been working with my wiring harness in my 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger. Im learning about the problems with "87" and back connectors. As you may or may not know the sockets for many of the plugs have two internal tabs that can be reformed by carefully inserting a very thin pointed tool to bend them inward. My question after that became, how can I verify good contact in these sockets. I discovered that the power module pins in the ten and twelve and 14 pin male connections are about .090 in diameter. The plastic nozzle for brake cleaner is .060. I found that pushing this nozzle into the sockets and feeling resistance likely means you will have good contact with the male pins.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Electrical tip.

Thanks Jeff,
    Also Deoxit 5 can help old tried connections after you clean up with brake clean or solvent of choice.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

I just got some the other day. Man that stuff is hard to find locally. I've used it before but didn't notice any visual change until I sprayed it on a 14 pun connector on one of my smec boards that had obvious deposits of some kind of crud. The reaction was surprisingly foamy indicating cleaning was happening. Dielectric grease has been mentioned before, im not quite sure of the benefit of using it. Brian has mentioned it to me as well.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

dont forget pipe cleaners.

yup, HEP connectors and the LM connectors have little tabs inside the barrel that can be bent inwards slightly and carefully to contact the pin of the opposite connector.

if you have a "green" crusted connector, a little vinegar goes a long way.... then rinse with water and dry with WD 40 and air/duster.

deoxit is the bomb though for 30 year old+ connectors.

i buy deoxit online..... used to be able to get it at radio shack though the price was ridiculous.....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

LOL, it still is in my opinion.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    I just got some the other day. Man that stuff is hard to find locally. I've used it before but didn't notice any visual change until I sprayed it on a 14 pun connector on one of my smec boards that had obvious deposits of some kind of crud. The reaction was surprisingly foamy indicating cleaning was happening. Dielectric grease has been mentioned before, im not quite sure of the benefit of using it. Brian has mentioned it to me as well.
    My issue with Dielectric grease is it is an insulator so the connection must scrape off the the grease for an electrical connection. DeOxit is different as it becomes conductive in an electric field which is why it works better.Better living through chemistry. At times I used both Deoxit at the connection and dielectric to keep the water from entering the contact.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

had a buddy pass by one night decided to clean & fiddle with some things while he was in my garage.. I walked in the door from the house to find him REAMING out the barrel connectors for the power module in his car .. with my torch tip cleaner .. (little round files)
    ...he was just finishing the second connector when I caught up to what he was doing..
    needless to say we spent the rest of the evening soldering on new connectors from a harness in the basement pile..
    (good times .. good times)