Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Modify A413 for More Power

Garrett booster

How to Modify A413 for More Power

So there are threads about modifying the A413, but most of the pictures are no longer hosted or have ridiculous watermarks (I'm looking at you, PhotoBucket). I figured I would attempt a How-To and redo the photos for posterity. I based this in DBB Mini's thread. I'm also following the http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...-Mods-and-Info page. The ATSG manual is available online for free if you look hard enough. I'll keep it to mods you can do with the transmission in the car, and then tackle the internal stuff at a later date.

If there is something you see that could be done differently, feel free to let me know. I'm not an expert - just a hobby mechanic who is too cheap to pay someone else to do this.

PART I - The Valve Body

Tools: 10mm socket with a couple of extensions; T25 Torx; flat head screwdriver; drain pan; lots of rags; a place to keep all of the small parts (small clear tackle box works perfectly; and a beverage of your choosing.

Step 1: Drain transmission

Step 2: Pop off the throttle linkage and lever. You won't be able to remove the valve body if you don't.

Step 3: Remove the park/neutral switch with your adjustable wrench.

Step 4: Remove Pan (10mm bolts)

Step 5: Remove Filter (2 T25 bolts)

Step 6: Remove Parking Prawl E-Clip and DO NOT LOSE IT!

Step 7: Slip out Parking Prawl and set aside.

Step 8: Loosen and remove the 10mm bolts holding in the Valve Body. If the transmission is still in the car, more fluid will drain so keep a pan handy

Step 9: Remove Valve Body

Step 10: Release the spring tension by rotating the shifter lever shaft clockwise.

Step 11: Place the valve body on your bench as shown using the shaft like a kickstand to keep the bottom facing up at a slight angle (if you don't do this, you'll be chasing all the ball bearing during the next step). Remove those T25 from the valve body.

Step 12: Split the valve body and remove the ball bearings with a small magnet noting how many you have and where they go.

Step 13: Loosen line pressure screw by turning it clockwise to bottom (weird, I know).

Step 14: Flip over and remove the 3 T25 bolts from the black plate, and then remove the black plate.

Step 15: Take out the spring and plunger and set it aside. Put that plate from Step 13 back on but only hand tight.

Step 16: Remove this stepped spring bracket (2 T25 bolts). Set the 2 springs and 2 plungers aside

Should end up looking like this:

Had to stop due to the battery in my digital caliper being dead. PART II coming later this week. I really hope this blesses somebody in the future.

turbo addict

Re: How to Modify A413 for More Power

Nice write up. Are you going to drill and tap the case for external line pressure adjustment? Another suggestion for tutorial thread is drill and weld in a nut in pan for super easy tranny fluid changes. Then run a magnetic oil pan bolt. Makes for no mess tranny fluid changes.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Thanks Todd. Definitely adding a drain plug and an oil temperature sensor going to an Arduino.

This is the first Ive heard about an external line pressure adjustment! Any info on that?

I am planning to block the accumulator and adding the beefier rear strut. I’m a little nervous about messing with the governor (need to read a little more).

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you drill a small hole in the case so that you can get to the adjustment screw without dropping the pan.

then you tap it and add a plug so you can cover up the hole when not needed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    you drill a small hole in the case so that you can get to the adjustment screw without dropping the pan.

then you tap it and add a plug so you can cover up the hole when not needed.

Brian
    Sweet well I'm definitely doing that then! I'll include it in PART III. Thanks guys.

turbo addict

Here is a photo or two of the tranny pan drain bolt/location and the external line adjustment location. 1/8" NPT is all that is needed. Sorry about the blurry photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9959.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	65269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9961.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	65270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5296.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	65271  

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Here is a photo or two of the tranny pan drain bolt/location and the external line adjustment location. 1/8" NPT is all that is needed. Sorry about the blurry photo.
    Beautiful Beautiful!!!! Thank you, brother. For the sake of simplicity, I'm going with the un-welded option first (95% of the guys out there probably don't have access to a welder like I have). But I eventually do want to do a welding tutorial...perhaps a YouTube video down the road.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Great pics Todd!!

My neighbor is a crack welder and installs drains just like yours for me.

We appreciate all your great informative posts with pictures.

Especially your posts where you courteously correct me.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Does anybody know what the stock position of the Pressure Regulator Adjustment should be? How many turns in or out?

Garrett booster

I think I figured it out. I opened up another a413 and measured it. Either way, I drilled and taped a hole to adjust the line pressure like you said, Todd :-)

when I have time, I’ll upload the pictures.

turbo addict

The real way to adjust is to put line pressure gauge on and measure. BTW it is a 1/16" male pipe thread you need. Not super easy to find. Those pressure measurements are in FSM. I know what your saying though, you need to get a ballpark figure. Here is a picture of one of my stock 1989 Turbo valve bodies.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5297.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	65273  

Garrett booster

So Todd, could you explain how a person could tell when there is too much line pressure? If I take it on a test drive, is there anything I should be listening to hear or be expecting to feel?

ps: I’ll see if I can find that fitting. The ATSG manual has been a life saver. Here is the link for anyone who might need it:
    https://procarmanuals.com/pdf-online...service-group/

Since raising the line pressure raises shift points, you may get to the point where the engine will hit the rev limiter before it will shift without letting off the throttle a touch.

you can also raise it too high where it has way too much in reverse and breaks stuff.

this mod to raise line pressure prevents that.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ody-and-theory

also if you go way too high, it can break the snap ring retainer groove end off of the drum.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Thanks Brian! Yup I did that bleed mod :-) I also installed the beefy reverse strut.

Crossing fingers for a good test drive.

Chris

Garrett booster

Hmmm. Now she won’t start. Starter engages and engine turns...but no start. Has spark.

Garrett booster

Alrighty! Just had moisture in the lines that froze up (welcome to life up north). She runs and shifts okay. Is it common for a small whine to occur during idle?

moisture in which lines?

what is whining? power steering? trans?

Brian

Garrett booster

Hey Brian. Most have gotten some bad gas that froze up in the fuel lines (Zero fuel pressure). Added some heet, heated the car up in the garage, and she started up just fine (it got pretty cold last night and I did fill up at a sketchier location than normal).

Sounds like it is whining from the transmission. Changes pitch when I go through the gears in the selector.

I did block the accumulators and drilled that cavity in the valve body from the thread you mentioned.

you should add a few bottles of drygas. my reliant had this issue many years back but it wasnt during winter. the car would fall flat on its face when it went into boost.

i pulled the fuel filter and could see the water in the fuel. a bunch of drygas cleared it up. i think i dumped in 6 bottles.

not sure about the trans. fluid full? fluid condition?

Brian

Garrett booster

I took a quart out of fluid out of the transmission and she likes it. No more whining as of now.

And I threw a bottle of dry gas in the tank (half full). No issues with the fuel pressure :-)

Sorry to derail the thread a little bit with my misadventures. I’ll have time to update with more pictures tomorrow 👍🏼

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast