Thread: 46RE build with 48RE guts

turbo addict

46RE build with 48RE guts

OK, I am in need of some help. I've tried finding specifics on this and there's very little "hard" evidence. I guess transmission shops like to keep this stuff to themselves?

Anyway, the trans in my '99 Ram went out at the start of the month. I decided to rebuild it, and like everything I do, if I can "overdo" it...why not, right? I *thought* I'd found the information I needed, but as I go to put this thing together I am running into parts interchangeability issues where I didn't anticipate them. Funny enough I stumble across a thread from 2 years ago that *kinda* answered my question, but I really need to know if I need to buy another hard part or not.

The issue is this: I am attempting to install the 48RE 6-pinion geartrain in my 46RE (both underdrive and overdrive). I have the planetaries, thrust plates/washers, sun gear, sun shell, and the rear ring gear is coming. I need to know: do I need the front ring gear as well, and which one!? The 03-up units seem to have more teeth for the frictions than the older units, but what I really need to know is are the thicknesses the same between the older and newer unit? If so, I am golden. If not, I need to figure out what I am going to do because I don't have the correct frictions to work with the updated gear. At that point I am going to probably have to modify something, which sucks.

I really want to try and get this dumb thing back together this weekend...hopefully that ring gear gets here faster than expected. I need my truck back!

turbo addict

Re: 46RE build with 48RE guts

Well, I couldn't really find an EXACT answer, but here's what I found: in order to use the 48RE geartrain, you have to either use all of it, leave out the sun shell and stick with the original 46/47RE part (the 48RE part is an upgrade due to thickness), or get machining done (or buy pre-machined parts). Due to being a glutton for punishment, I opted for the pre-machined parts. We shall see....what an adventure.

Lesson learned here is: just stay with the 5-pininon stuff from the 47RE. Woulda saved me a few hundred bucks and at least a week of time.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

A gas 360 is not going to come close to 'needing' the 48RE stuff. You already spent it so go for it but put the attention into fixing the VB issues and getting the OD clearances right on spec. The sonnax valve to allow fluid circulation in park does wonders for these units. Get rid of the chrysler check valve in the cooler line if not already gone, use the old style all felt filter and a deeper pan to let it flow as much fluid as possible and keep the filter off the bottom of the pan so it is not sucking up trash.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    A gas 360 is not going to come close to 'needing' the 48RE stuff. You already spent it so go for it but put the attention into fixing the VB issues and getting the OD clearances right on spec. The sonnax valve to allow fluid circulation in park does wonders for these units. Get rid of the chrysler check valve in the cooler line if not already gone, use the old style all felt filter and a deeper pan to let it flow as much fluid as possible and keep the filter off the bottom of the pan so it is not sucking up trash.
    Yeah, I know I built a brick sh*thouse when a wooden one would have done. Yes, I have the valve body kit and the OD shim kit. I am not even going to run the factory cooler, I have a completely separate unit I am going to install along with the deeper sump pan. I am open to other tips and suggestions as well. I have the book, read a bunch of builds, have built other transmissions, watched a bunch of videos (including the factory training ones), blah blah blah...but experience is always better. So...I am currently waiting on parts. Plus I like learning.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Yeah, I know I built a brick sh*thouse when a wooden one would have done. Yes, I have the valve body kit and the OD shim kit. I am not even going to run the factory cooler, I have a completely separate unit I am going to install along with the deeper sump pan. I am open to other tips and suggestions as well. I have the book, read a bunch of builds, have built other transmissions, watched a bunch of videos (including the factory training ones), blah blah blah...but experience is always better. So...I am currently waiting on parts. Plus I like learning.
    A little overkill never hurt.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

OK, update time! I FINALLY have the correct parts to put the geartrain together. What it took was a machined 48RE sunshell used with the 46RE sun gear (I got a new one). NOW it stacks up nicely and the snap ring engaged with no problems.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future...