Thread: whats known about overseas tdi (crd) voyagers

Hybrid booster

whats known about overseas tdi (crd) voyagers

been looking into them lately and cant seem to find that much mainly talking pre 95, it seems it used the same bell housing as the 2.2/2.5 and a a586 with 3.88 fd ? ive seen 3 transmissions listed as removed from these vans wuth that tag and also 2 with the typical 568, the final drive doesn't make much sense to me since they should be truning lower rpm on the highway, thoughts or info ? also any leads on finding one of these vans for parts or even just a engine in the usa ?

turbo addict

Re: whats known about overseas tdi (crd) voyagers

I am also interested in this. I tried to do some looking a few years ago, but not much luck. I think later ones use a similar bearing setup as the SRT-4 transmission on the input shaft, but in a A568 looking case. I am wondering about the synchros and such, and whether parts are available (which of course would have to come from Europe).

turbo addict

there's a thread here or over on TD about those transmissions .. it doesn't say much but does give the internal gear ratios for comparison

my 588 has a 408 fd and a first gear ratio of 3:69 (I think) vs the getrag's 3:29

I haven't opened it up yet so I can't say anything about what may be different inside .. but looking at it it appears the same as any 523 / 568 from the outside .. I really doubt there's much difference beside what I believe simply are industrial truck ratios.

Cindy's add for it said it has getrag internal parts - but the whole getrag "thing' makes me think now that they were always meant for work duty vehicles .. something maybe cryco already "had" when the 555 went in the intercooled cars ..??

kinda like putting a dana behind the 44+6 or hemi back in the day

Hybrid booster

I've found alot of them for sale in spain it also appears they had another odd number transmission too along with the 568 and 523 being in some of their vans (confirmed by tags), I was partially hoping they had something with alot lower final drive ratio since some would see use on the autobahn and being a diesel you cant spin them as fast but everyone is a 3.85 or 3.88

Hybrid booster

The 558 with a 4.08 fd from a voyager equiped with a 2.0l gas engine according to the seller

turbo addict

There was a write up from David Tracy on Jalopnik just this year about how he went to germany and bought a whole voyager. The motor sounds like junk from his description.

turbo addict

while North America is swamped with pick up trucks Europe goes with panel vans .. I think in that is reason you find only steeper ratios in the transmissions ..

I've wished I could get a steeper ratio for a 5 speed , since , well forever ..
    I definitely remember the old Direct Connection catalog having a steeper ratio sets for the automatics but never anything for the (then) 525's

the trans swap IS the first thing I'd like to try in my charger now while it still has the completely stock old log motor in it

you know .. just to experience the difference before upgrading anything else

years ago I had a turbo converted turismo with maybe 200 hp and a 305 FD 525 and like the amputee who can still feel their missing fingers or toes ,, I can "still feel that car " ..so to say , today

so a bump up from a 305 to a 408 .. with that steeper first gear should be a hoot ..lol

I'm not sure now but the number 365 comes to mind thinking of the first gear ratio in the old carb car's 305 geared 525 (?) so first in the 588 trans might not be so much more than I was used to back in the day ..

the most notable thing going from the 305 525 to a 386 555 was never having to drop back to fourth gear to keep up with traffic when road speed dropped from 60 kph to 50 kph ..

that might further reinforce the idea of a steeper gear in a vehicle more intended for commercial use