Thread: wanted: window louver hinges and hardware

Hybrid booster

wanted: window louver hinges and hardware

just want the hardware not the louvers, let me know what you got, need the upper and lower mounts/hinges from what i can tell any daytona ones should work but will be used on a shadow even if the need to be modified a little not sure about the charger ones they might be similar also?

turbo addict

Re: wanted: window louver hinges and hardware

daytona louvers used two crappy paste on hinges and two brackets at the lower corners for the latching mechanisms (Zeus fasteners)

charger louvers have one piece that fits between the glass and the seal to both hinge and latch the louvers .. so charger's totally different

ok , I know I probably pizzed off all the daytona louver lovers with "crappy past on hinges" but honestly .. I don't wanna be the guy following you with that set up ....

so this is what I did when I saw that JUNK...

http://www.2040-parts.com/ford-bronc...rare-i1983195/

early eighties ford bronco II rear window hinges .. for the tailgates with optional opening rear window.. not all bronc's got these

on the bronco the large cast body section fits to the glass with a plastic "squeeze washer" / nut and screws to the window opening frame with two screws through the flat steel plate section of the hinge

bonus points for those two screw holes in the flat section of the hinge already being drilled THE EXACT SAME distance apart as the screw holes in your louvers to mount the hinges that came with them...

and then , you have to modify the hinge slightly ..

although drilled correctly , that flat steel section needs to be flipped over .. this corrects the at rest height of the hinge and louver and , by flipping the piece over it gives the correct angle to the steel section to account for the bow shape of the louver

you cannot remove the hinge pin from the hinge as it seems to be cast around the pin.. you have to pry the tab of the steel part open and flip it , then hammer it back tight again around the pin

much less complicated then it seems believe me

once placed on the car you're gonna have to drill two holes in the top of the hatch .. and yep this is gonna look much like the hinges on a '69 mach 1 mustang .. which is not a bad thing..

when you remove the inside trim piece from the top of your hatch .. much to your amazement you will find there are two reliefs stamped in the inner hatch frame .. RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED THEM .. so you have direct access to the underside where you need to put the big nut and plastic washers in place .. a little silicone and I never had a leak ..

I well say they stayed on my car without issue or need for concern , though you do need to be kind to the cast section of the hinges as they can and will crack if over stressed .. but even slightly cracked they still held up for years and years on my car

I secured the supplied latch plates to the window with several strips of the 3M auto trim tape which eventually needed a replacement after a few years

the louvers came with a bottle of glass primer and a bottle of glue for use on glass but when I bought my louvers the glue was dried up in the bottle as were the several bottles the parts guys tried getting for me afterwards ..though all along I though pasting them on was a joke...and a really bad idea

to add,
    if everyone were to see how perfectly centered the rounded reliefs stamped in the inner hatch steel they all might feel a little hate for bean counters .. when you add the consideration car makers use parts from suppliers .. who supply all the auto makers ..
    so.. there's probably some standardization of "math" and features in those suppliers own manufacturing methods..

so .. you MIGHT be looking at "the" hinge that MIGHT have originally been intended for use ..kinda..
    'cause those hinges that come with the louvers REALLY look like the work of a bean counter..
    REALLY NICE LOUVER ..
    crap for hardware..

pic from link above encase it fades away after sale

square washers are plastic .. were ment for attachment to glass but serve as body gaskets when hinge body is bolted to hatch instead..and insures a good goob of silicone will seal the studs in the drilled holes in your hatch
    there should be large plastic washers for the nuts too as they were also on the other side of the glass

the flat metal hinge section fits perfectly under the louver when you flip the tabs over leaving only the mounting screws exposed..
    I used some stamped raised washers that allowed me to use some counter sunk bolt heads thus giving the look of 4 "buttons" securing the louver to the hinge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	65233  
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 12-20-2020 at 05:23 AM.

turbo addict

if you enlarge that pic above , look at the left side of the hinge on the left

not quite 1/2 way down from the top , on the character line running along the left side edge , you'll see a small white spot..

- it's at about that point in the hinge body where they crack...

the part of the hinge body casting that attaches to the hatch has a foot print the same size as the square plastic washer.. the rest of the hinge body is like an arm reaching back over the hatch to the top edge of the louver

I would not buy those linked without asking about cracks and asking for side views..a pic a part purchase would be
    preferable to on line..

I'll look for my pics ..later ...as it's 4:50 am ..

Hybrid booster

well thanks for the reply, but i think i need the daytona ones that glue to the glass then because there is no actual hatch frame just glass (shadow hatch) so nothing else is going to work, not too concerned that its not the best system since this wont be driven much just for show

I have the upper bracket pkg NOS for it

no lower ones