Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current thoughts on 2.5 T1 head gaskets?

Mitsu booster

Current thoughts on 2.5 T1 head gaskets?

I'm replacing the head gasket again on the 89 Caravan. Last time was a Felpro, aprox 2015. I understand that, as of 5 years ago, Felpro now has a "permatorque" which may be an improvement? Are any other options presently appealing to the average, OEM performance daily driver?

turbo addict

Re: Current thoughts on 2.5 T1 head gaskets?

Yeah OEM gasket is still available. 5281064AB.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

For the cost and performance, I've been using the Felpro gaskets for a while now. No problems. I know guys have gone at least deep into the 11s with nitrous, so I couldn't be any less worried about them.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Are they still graphite ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Are they still graphite ?
    Not unless you get a super old one. They were updated many years ago now.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

they are still graphite. they just have one side that is completely covered in a coated sheet of steel that wraps through the cyl bores around some other sheet steel to form a fire ring. the same totally steel side wraps around the fire ring and outer corner water jacket areas on the side of the head opposite the tstat housing where they used to push the gasket when cyl press would rise.... but the core material is still graphite.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I made 367whp on FelPro.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    they are still graphite. they just have one side that is completely covered in a coated sheet of steel that wraps through the cyl bores around some other sheet steel to form a fire ring. the same totally steel side wraps around the fire ring and outer corner water jacket areas on the side of the head opposite the tstat housing where they used to push the gasket when cyl press would rise.... but the core material is still graphite.

Brian
    Thanks for the correction. I know it's a huge difference from the old ones, that's for sure.

im not saying it sucks. im just saying its still a graphite core gasket.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

anyone have the part number for the discontinued fel pro print o seal 2.2 head gaskets ??

I can't find mention of them anywhere and I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff - a part number might help

I used to use them exclusively .. hated the moper soggy and rotten in three years gaskets and knew better than to use a
    perma-torque fel pro with an aluminum head (the real issue is they were meant for use with for cast iron heads)

I also recommend no one ever use a McCord /McGord gasket (?)
    the fire rings are not ca joined .. I used one , it didn't last long as the gasket burned through both cyl #1 &2 fire rings and burnt a 3/8 deep notch in the head between the combustion chambers .. THOSE ones DEFINITELY suck..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    There must still be a ****ton of the old ones out there in circulation. I have never seen the 'fixed' version yet.

turbo addict

There must still be a ****ton of the old ones out there in circulation. I have never seen the 'fixed' version yet.
    Don't start a rumor with zero fact.

Old Fel Pro.

New Fel Pro.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I bought approx 8 FelPro headgaskets from RA and they are the "New" design
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post

Old Fel Pro.

New Fel Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    I bought approx 8 FelPro headgaskets from RA and they are the "New" design
    Hey Harry, I ordered multiple Fel-Pro head gaskets from RA like Miles. One came in and it was ancient not just old. The rest of the Fel-Pro gaskets were newer design. Used it for sandwich between deck plate and deck of head when machining. No way would I use that POS they sent me. So there still are some old Fel-Pro head gaskets out there in RA (and others) inventory. This also happened with a Victor-Reinz head gasket too. Wasn't worth the effort of sending it back either. I think my gasket was even older design than the one you posted as "old".

yeah all the fel-pro ones in my HG stash from rock auto are the newer style.

rock auto stocks the mopar 005 equivalent gaskets as well though too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...ad+gasket,5412

i have a few of those too and some MP 006 gaskets as well.

last fall when i popped a gasket at 22psi on pump gas with no knock, it was because my block was definitely not flat at all. big dip in the front between the head bolts and all the head bolt areas were high... nice and flat now though.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    And what would you like for fact ? My personal findings mean nothing to you just like your opinion and every time this subject comes up and you roll out those pictures it really means nothings to me.

4 times locally, once through each auto parts chain store I have wasted the effort and ordered the 9296PT. Napa last year was the final attempt. The packaging condition being what it was anyone with 2 brain cells could see it was OLD and had been kicking around for some time. I explained the concern and they just shrug their shoulders. Maybe if I ordered it 5 more times the next 5 gaskets would all be fresh new inventory ? Same deal at advance, autozone and federated. just keep reordering it until a good one comes in ?

5 engine gasket kits via R/A. last one was 2 years ago and nope not yet. That kit was still sealed up, it is going to get shipped. R/A sure as hell won't take that loss by culling any suspect inventory, it is going to stay around until it get sold.

Something to note here and that being the newest 2.2-2.5 is now 26 years old, speaking for my local area I just don't see any other 2.2-2.5 cars on the road anymore. Engine service parts unless they are shared with the V6's are not stocked anymore for the most part, slow moving inventory does not get refreshed and old, sometimes out of date inventory is going to stick around way longer than it should.

turbo addict

And what would you like for fact ? My personal findings mean nothing to you just like your opinion and every time this subject comes up and you roll out those pictures it really means nothings to me.

4 times locally, once through each auto parts chain store I have wasted the effort and ordered the 9296PT. Napa last year was the final attempt. The packaging condition being what it was anyone with 2 brain cells could see it was OLD and had been kicking around for some time. I explained the concern and they just shrug their shoulders. Maybe if I ordered it 5 more times the next 5 gaskets would all be fresh new inventory ? Same deal at advance, autozone and federated. just keep reordering it until a good one comes in ?

5 engine gasket kits via R/A. last one was 2 years ago and nope not yet. That kit was still sealed up, it is going to get shipped. R/A sure as hell won't take that loss by culling any suspect inventory, it is going to stay around until it get sold.

Something to note here and that being the newest 2.2-2.5 is now 26 years old, speaking for my local area I just don't see any other 2.2-2.5 cars on the road anymore. Engine service parts unless they are shared with the V6's are not stocked anymore for the most part, slow moving inventory does not get refreshed and old, sometimes out of date inventory is going to stick around way longer than it should.
    This reply is certainly better than this reply.

All the Fel-Pro PermaTorque head gasket I got I order at Rockauto. Every single one of them are the new design.
    I don't ever buy gasket kit for the reason you listed above, I buy the wholesaler Fel-Pro PermaTorque head gasket at $5.46 a piece. Even with shipping cost, it's cheaper than my local stores.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Yeah OEM gasket is still available. 5281064AB.
    This is the same as what used to be sold as the Mopar Performance 005 gasket. I’ve never had an issue with one.
    $41 on RockAuto, usually less from an online Mopar parts dealer.
    My time is worth more than the difference in price between Fel-Pro and Mopar so I don’t see the point of going cheap on head gaskets.
    That and I bought a ton of them when they were $15 each.

The old 005 is the right gasket for '89 2.5 turbo 1 right ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

006 was the old number for 2.5 T which are crossdrilled.

005 was for non crossdrilled Engines.

Maybe the new # covers both?

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast