Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: L body rear shocks?

  1. #1
    Mitsu booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    L body rear shocks?

    Pulling together some spare parts for the 1987 L body and finding that I can't get rear shocks!!

    Struts, here are options, but can't find rear shock anywhere.

    Wondering what else works for our cars. Anyone else have success with finding alternative shocks that
    work with the L body? Parts numbers/brands?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,282
    Tailgate at your own risk.

  3. #3
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    20,445

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    The L body cars use rear struts. I'm not understanding the problem.

  4. #4
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MPLS, MN
    Posts
    3,414

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Brian, the supply of shocks and struts for l-bodies is drying up pretty quick now. Before you could get all sorts of pedestrian shocks and struts, but performance shocks and struts were difficult to find. Now the supply of the pedestrian shocks is getting even difficult to procure. The rear 2 dr l-body shocks started getting scarce a few years ago. Now it's the 4 dr l-bodies turn. Noticed this trend in the past year or so. Might soon need to buy different applications and modify them to fit.

    Not sure what the differences are in the rear shocks on the earlier models. Probably just slightly different overall length, or different perch length for the spring seat. The link tryingbe sent is for 78-80 models, not 78-90 models. Probably not many people looking for parts for 78-80 models.
    Todd

  5. #5
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    20,445

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    It has been a long while since I've purchased any suspension bits for the L body cars. Bummer that the run of the mill stuff is getting scarce. The BC stuff isn't cheap, and there's not much out there other than that. Wasn't it the Tercel which was a viable alternative with a couple mods?

  6. #6
    Mitsu booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Thanks for the link, these shocks look like the rear 2dr L body but the carquest website says the 71205 shock isn't a match

    The seller dos have a lot of others that I'll have to try to match. That is the problem, part numbers that no longer work on any part site.
    Trying to make something work and get the proper height and fit will be a nightmare.

    Hope to stumble across some NOS somewhere or someone has figured out a cross match.

  7. #7
    turbo addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MPLS, MN
    Posts
    3,414

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1 View Post
    Thanks for the link, these shocks look like the rear 2dr L body but the carquest website says the 71205 shock isn't a match

    The seller dos have a lot of others that I'll have to try to match. That is the problem, part numbers that no longer work on any part site.
    Trying to make something work and get the proper height and fit will be a nightmare.

    Hope to stumble across some NOS somewhere or someone has figured out a cross match.
    Tom the only real difference between the 2 dr. and 4 dr. was the location of the spring perch stop. The 86 GLHS Koni's actually used the lowered 2dr. spring perch location on the 4 dr. That is why you saw many of them sort of squating in the rear. They were a good 1" lower than they should be. The fix was to lower the fronts (lol). Some of the shock manufacturers back in the day included a spacer while others included a spring seat which could have been reversed to either increase or decrease ride height.
    Do a search on this site and the other one about other applications that can be modified to fit the L-body. Toyota Tercel was one of them, (I think Tryingbe used those).
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...a+tercel+shock


    someone else Boosted Drummer used 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage KYB AGX 741033.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/k...stall.1137345/

    RX2maxda installed some front struts on his L-body. 93-01' Subaru Impreza RS
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-install-on-TD!!!!
    Todd

  8. #8
    Mitsu booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Tom the only real difference between the 2 dr. and 4 dr. was the location of the spring perch stop. The 86 GLHS Koni's actually used the lowered 2dr. spring perch location on the 4 dr. That is why you saw many of them sort of squating in the rear. They were a good 1" lower than they should be. The fix was to lower the fronts (lol). Some of the shock manufacturers back in the day included a spacer while others included a spring seat which could have been reversed to either increase or decrease ride height.
    Do a search on this site and the other one about other applications that can be modified to fit the L-body. Toyota Tercel was one of them, (I think Tryingbe used those).
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...a+tercel+shock


    someone else Boosted Drummer used 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage KYB AGX 741033.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/k...stall.1137345/

    RX2maxda installed some front struts on his L-body. 93-01' Subaru Impreza RS
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-install-on-TD!!!!
    Todd
    Thanks Todd, this is very helpful!

    Ive finally got the Turismo running the way I hoped it would with the blower and MSD box.
    Want to get it painted and really enjoy it for long hile, which is th reason for the spare parts inventory.

    All the best, Tom

  9. #9
    turbo addict boost geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Posts
    2,290

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    i put Monroe rears on my 87 Shelby charger years ago sensatrac?
    later Dick Westerhof

  10. #10
    Mitsu booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    After digging into Todd's links and doing the rounds on the web, looks like KYB numbers are
    Excel G 234001/ Monroe 71767 (front) and G 343158/ Monroe 32134 (rear) but I stand to be corrected.

    Thanks for everyone's patience..

  11. #11
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,592

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    I have a new in the box set of KYB Gr-2 rears if you are interested.

  12. #12
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hartford City, Indiana, United
    Posts
    208

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    i sell them at Oreilly, i replaced mine on the GLH. Just have the guys look them up for a 1990, they are offered in KYB. They are a few days out, but theyre there. But for some reason they only show for the 1990 cars...

  13. #13
    Mitsu booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer7467 View Post
    i sell them at Oreilly, i replaced mine on the GLH. Just have the guys look them up for a 1990, they are offered in KYB. They are a few days out, but theyre there. But for some reason they only show for the 1990 cars...
    Great tip!
    Hoping to find something that a be shipped to Canada.

  14. #14
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,282

    Re: L body rear shocks?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Do a search on this site and the other one about other applications that can be modified to fit the L-body. Toyota Tercel was one of them, (I think Tryingbe used those).
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...a+tercel+shock
    I used these. Will have to cut spring, bore the plate bigger and use a different size nuts on top to make it work.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-Gas-a-j...8AAOSwssdeWSYw
    Last edited by tryingbe; 11-05-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Tailgate at your own risk.

Similar Threads

  1. Suspension GLHS/L-body rear Koni shocks
    By supercrackerbox in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM
  2. Suspension l-body struts and rear shocks
    By trannybuster in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
  3. L-body rear shocks....on a budget?
    By jamesmonty in forum Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Traction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM
  4. General WTB H Body rear bumper shocks and reinforcement
    By carsman in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM
  5. L-body rear shocks
    By travis_k in forum Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Traction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •