Thread: L body rear shocks?

Hybrid View

Mitsu booster

L body rear shocks?

Pulling together some spare parts for the 1987 L body and finding that I can't get rear shocks!!

Struts, here are options, but can't find rear shock anywhere.

Wondering what else works for our cars. Anyone else have success with finding alternative shocks that
    work with the L body? Parts numbers/brands?

Thanks

Mitsu booster

Re: L body rear shocks?

Thanks for the link, these shocks look like the rear 2dr L body but the carquest website says the 71205 shock isn't a match

The seller dos have a lot of others that I'll have to try to match. That is the problem, part numbers that no longer work on any part site.
    Trying to make something work and get the proper height and fit will be a nightmare.

Hope to stumble across some NOS somewhere or someone has figured out a cross match.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1 View Post
    Thanks for the link, these shocks look like the rear 2dr L body but the carquest website says the 71205 shock isn't a match

The seller dos have a lot of others that I'll have to try to match. That is the problem, part numbers that no longer work on any part site.
    Trying to make something work and get the proper height and fit will be a nightmare.

Hope to stumble across some NOS somewhere or someone has figured out a cross match.
    Tom the only real difference between the 2 dr. and 4 dr. was the location of the spring perch stop. The 86 GLHS Koni's actually used the lowered 2dr. spring perch location on the 4 dr. That is why you saw many of them sort of squating in the rear. They were a good 1" lower than they should be. The fix was to lower the fronts (lol). Some of the shock manufacturers back in the day included a spacer while others included a spring seat which could have been reversed to either increase or decrease ride height.
    Do a search on this site and the other one about other applications that can be modified to fit the L-body. Toyota Tercel was one of them, (I think Tryingbe used those).
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...a+tercel+shock

someone else Boosted Drummer used 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage KYB AGX 741033.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/k...stall.1137345/

RX2maxda installed some front struts on his L-body. 93-01' Subaru Impreza RS
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-install-on-TD!!!!
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Tom the only real difference between the 2 dr. and 4 dr. was the location of the spring perch stop. The 86 GLHS Koni's actually used the lowered 2dr. spring perch location on the 4 dr. That is why you saw many of them sort of squating in the rear. They were a good 1" lower than they should be. The fix was to lower the fronts (lol). Some of the shock manufacturers back in the day included a spacer while others included a spring seat which could have been reversed to either increase or decrease ride height.
    Do a search on this site and the other one about other applications that can be modified to fit the L-body. Toyota Tercel was one of them, (I think Tryingbe used those).

someone else Boosted Drummer used 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage KYB AGX 741033.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/k...stall.1137345/

RX2maxda installed some front struts on his L-body. 93-01' Subaru Impreza RS
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-install-on-TD!!!!
    Todd
    Thanks Todd, this is very helpful!

Ive finally got the Turismo running the way I hoped it would with the blower and MSD box.
    Want to get it painted and really enjoy it for long hile, which is th reason for the spare parts inventory.

All the best, Tom

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I used these. Will have to cut spring, bore the plate bigger and use a different size nuts on top to make it work.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-Gas-a-j...8AAOSwssdeWSYw
    Last edited by tryingbe; 11-05-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The L body cars use rear struts. I'm not understanding the problem.

turbo addict

Brian, the supply of shocks and struts for l-bodies is drying up pretty quick now. Before you could get all sorts of pedestrian shocks and struts, but performance shocks and struts were difficult to find. Now the supply of the pedestrian shocks is getting even difficult to procure. The rear 2 dr l-body shocks started getting scarce a few years ago. Now it's the 4 dr l-bodies turn. Noticed this trend in the past year or so. Might soon need to buy different applications and modify them to fit.

Not sure what the differences are in the rear shocks on the earlier models. Probably just slightly different overall length, or different perch length for the spring seat. The link tryingbe sent is for 78-80 models, not 78-90 models. Probably not many people looking for parts for 78-80 models.
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It has been a long while since I've purchased any suspension bits for the L body cars. Bummer that the run of the mill stuff is getting scarce. The BC stuff isn't cheap, and there's not much out there other than that. Wasn't it the Tercel which was a viable alternative with a couple mods?

i put Monroe rears on my 87 Shelby charger years ago sensatrac?
    later Dick Westerhof

Mitsu booster

After digging into Todd's links and doing the rounds on the web, looks like KYB numbers are
    Excel G 234001/ Monroe 71767 (front) and G 343158/ Monroe 32134 (rear) but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks for everyone's patience..

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I have a new in the box set of KYB Gr-2 rears if you are interested.

Garrett booster

i sell them at Oreilly, i replaced mine on the GLH. Just have the guys look them up for a 1990, they are offered in KYB. They are a few days out, but theyre there. But for some reason they only show for the 1990 cars...

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer7467 View Post
    i sell them at Oreilly, i replaced mine on the GLH. Just have the guys look them up for a 1990, they are offered in KYB. They are a few days out, but theyre there. But for some reason they only show for the 1990 cars...
    Great tip!
    Hoping to find something that a be shipped to Canada.