Thread: Are Precision turbos any good?

Hybrid booster

Are Precision turbos any good?

Need a turbo for a high end TIII build and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Precision turbos? Seems like alot of the fast guys on TV use them. Lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Are Precision turbos any good?

IIRC there was a member who had some warranty issues with them several years back and they didn't take care of him at all.

Seen lots of fast guys on TV use $150 chinese ebay turbos and $30 junkyard turbos too. Pick your poison I guess. If I really had the $ and wanted a good warranty I would get something from Turbonetics, but I'm more of a "I found a 20 year old turbo from a Saab or a holset off a early 90s ram" kind of guy (or $150 ebay chinese turbo)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

There was a guy named Larry (4SFED4) that frequented this forum many years ago and had a Spirit R/T with a Precision 6152S making over 500 WHP. IIRC, he really liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyallzadBM

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Some people have had good luck with Precision, some people not so good. I am now using a Precision to replace a Comp Turbo that suddenly failed. The Precision turbo certainly makes more power than my old turbo with like-for-like specs, but I worry about it suddenly failing too due to friends' experiences with them.

If I were shopping for a new turbo, honestly I would be shopping Garrett or Borg-Warner. Garrett has the reputation for reliability an the latest tech, but you pay for it.
    BW is a little less expensive than Garrett, but they have a BIG reputation for durability.

As for junkyard turbos... you can make power with them, but the chances of finding one as closely matched as a spec'd out brand new turbo is pretty slim.
    Diesel turbos like Holsets are durable, and they can make a lot of power, but there are tradeoffs too.
    Chinese turbos are a crap shoot of durability, and they never seem to make as much power as a name-brand turbo. If you don't mind leaving some power on the table, and don't mind taking the chance that it won't last, could be worth a try.

Really all depends on how much you spent on the rest of the combo. If it's a cheap build with thrown together parts, maybe go cheap on the turbo. If you spent $3k on a shortblock and $2k on a head, valvetrain and cam(s), you might want to spend a bit more on the turbo too to get the most out of it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided to go Garrett as I found a model that should accomplish my performance goals, and Garrett has a stellar reputation. I used to work for a rail road and we even used Garrett on the locomotives

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

im starting to use ebay turbos. for as much crap as i break and have to take apart again, tossing on another <150$ turbo is not a big deal.

if i cook the 50 trim thats on the reliant now, a ebay 3076r will go on. i have one going on my CR-V. ill probably put a 110$ 46trim on my jeep wrangler.

the dual ball bearing GTX3582r's on ebay hold up well and make over 700hp and are like 699$

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.