Thread: New Fuel Pump Issue

Garrett booster

New Fuel Pump Issue

Replaced the fuel pump in my 86 New Yorker. Having a hard time starting it. Once it finally fires, then it starts fine afterwards. It's just trying to fire it after sitting over night. Do I need to bleed something?

turbo addict

Re: New Fuel Pump Issue

Sounds like the check valve in the fuel pump isn't holding. Can you install a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to confirm? You can try to energize the fuel pump twice before starting by turning the key to on then off, then on, then start. You should hear the fuel pump run for a second two times. See if it starts easier. If so, the check valve in the fuel pump is bleeding down. Obviously look for any leaks too.
    Todd

turbo addict

Another thought is you could also have injectors dribbling into the cylinders after shutdown. This can happen if injectors are really dirty. If you didn't have this problem before the new fuel pump install and now you do, logic should tell you the fuel pump is suspect. What brand of pump did you install?
    Todd

Garrett booster

I bought a Brute Power pump and housing assembly. I hadn't run the car for a few days, so yesterday I went out to start it. I turned the key and listened to the pump prime. I turned the key off, waited a few seconds and did it again only this time I tried to start it. It fired right up, so I drove it around the block for the first time in months. Seemed to run fine. I'm still gun shy with it. I pulled all the connectors apart under the hood and sprayed with Deoxit. I cleaned and sprayed the bulkhead connector and sprayed the fuel pump connector. It stalled in the driveway and didn't want to start for a minute. I have replaced the LM, HEP, ignition switch, coil, fuel pump and swapped the PM for another used one that I had. The car seems to run great, but it ran great, then quit and left me stranded more than a dozen times. I'm sure there must be something that I'm overlooking.