Thread: T III Swap

Mitsu booster

T III Swap

I have an 87 Le Baron coupe with a dead Turbo I and a TorqueFlite 404 in unknown condition. I also have a 92 IROC R/T parts car that I bought to finish up my other R/T. Since the Le Baron is very straight, rust free, and has a good interior, I've been giving thought to pulling the Turbo III and A568 out of the Daytona and installing it in the Le Baron. I'm pretty sure that everything mechanical would be a bolt-in, or close to it. The big question is the electronics - how to get the ECM and BCM to play nice, getting the digital dash to work with the different engine, etc. Would an aftermarket controller be the best bet? Question for anyone who has done this sort of swap: do you know of any write-up or have other advice pertinent to such a swap? I know it will be a lot of work, I know I could simply rebuild the TI and not deal with any of this, I know that TIII's can be temperamental; I'd just like to know if anyone has done a TIII swap into an earlier body that was still a streetable driver. Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: T III Swap

It has been done many times. Early on, the preferred method was to swap everything from the donor TIII into the new car. That may be the way to go for you. In any case, you should do a thorough comparison of the wiring diagrams for both vehicles and see if you think it's doable.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: T III Swap

Several have done it and I am part way through it now with '87 Shelby CSX #667. Everything bolts right in for the most part, but I doubt the air intake snorkel will work very well on the P-body in my case. For electronics, I am planning to use most of a '91 Spirit R/T underhood harness that is spliced into the CSX factory harness behind the driver side strut tower. I will use the TIII SBEC, but have no plans to incorporate any other electronics such as the BCM or ABS or anything else. A few years ago I put a Masi 16v DOHC engine in my Shelby Lancer and used a similar strategy with that car and it worked great and fired up first try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0261.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	65195